How to calculate volume of hole

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

werowance

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about making some measuring cups for 2 stroke oil mixing for my brothers and for our saws. I hate loosing my measuring bottles so I thought some aluminum cups with the correct measurement for a gallon of gas would be nice

But my question is how to know what size hole to bore. For example if I cut .375 dia to 2.0 deep that might = 2oz by volume I know that's not correct but what math would I use to calculate volume of a hole?

Guess I could just measure 2oz of water and cut and test by pouring water in and see how much more or less is needed but that seems like a lot of trial and error

Any help is appreciated

I was thinking about making some measuring cups for 2 stroke oil mixing for my brothers and for our saws. I hate loosing my measuring bottles so I thought some aluminum cups with the correct measurement for a gallon of gas would be nice

But my question is how to know what size hole to bore. For example if I cut .375 dia to 2.0 deep that might = 2oz by volume I know that's not correct but what math would I use to calculate volume of a hole?

Guess I could just measure 2oz of water and cut and test by pouring water in and see how much more or less is needed but that seems like a lot of trial and error

Any help is appreciated

Hi
volume of hole in Cubic inch
dia x dia x.7854=answer x high = volume

.375 x .375 x .7854=.110 x 2= .220 CU
from CI to ounce =answer x.5541126
IF it's UK ounce answer x.5767438

cheers

It is likely obvious there are many answers to the problem.

I generally use the Pi*r^2 *H = V formula( chps formula is another one. )

Using conversion software 2 OZ US = 3.609375 in^3

1.5in D^2 * .7854 = 1.76715
Solve for H : 3.609373/1.767.5= 2.043 inches
So one solution is 1.5 in diameter x 2.043 deep.

This seems to be a reasonable answer with near round numbers you can calculate for a 2" hole if you like.
Tin

most 2stroke oil bottles here have a clear stripe with a measure on them

Tom R

I generally use the Pi*r^2 *H = V formula( chps formula is another one. )
Tin

Hi Tin
I'm using the same method you are but with a constant. Reason it's easier
to calculate volume of a cylinder , square piece of metal to round shaft and the % of weight difference. In class no calculator permitted. LOL :wall:

so if we go with the original method
Pi x r square = the surface area
3.1416 x 1 Inch tube are what ever (radius of one is .5) .5 =.25
so 3.1416 x .25 = .7854
so every 1 inch- foot - millimeter- will have 78.54% less weigh and area than a square one.

In practice it makes your life easy. example 2 inch cylinder and I want 600 lbs lift 2x2=4 x.80 =3.2 inch 600 divided by 3.2 I need 187.5 pound minimum to get it to work.

On the other hand I need a 1.5 inch round shaft and I have a 2 inch square billet. so 2 inch x.80 =1.6 inch round I'm in business

cheers

And a 2" shaft has an area = to pi .Both formulas are in the machinery's Handbook next to each other. I am guessing we have different ones memorized . The point here is to help the OP.
Tin

I save myself trouble by buying Husqvarna oil in small plastic bottles pre-measured for 1 gallon of gas at 1:50 ratio formula . They also have generic for the same thing in 1:40 ratio for other saws. Buy up the bottles and save to refill with your own oil . They are cheap at Lowe's and Home Depot. Saves me the headache of measuring oil for 1 gallon of gasoline. No machining and no headaches calculating volume..

Thanks all for the replies, yeah, I could buy some measuring cups, and the bottles I use do not have the clear stripe but I know what you are talking about, and my saw calls for 25:1 so I havnt seen any of the small bottles that will mix that ratio to a gallon of gas, my dads saw uses 50:1 and yeah we use the small pre measured bottles for it.

but I just thought it would be a fun diversion to make my own, and learn how to calculate the volume of a hole - which I didn't have a clue where to begin on that so I learned something new, and took a break from cutting firewood. my lathe hadn't been on for about a month now.

thanks all for all the suggestions and for lessons on calculating the volume of a bored hole.

I really appreciate it.

Latest posts

Back