How fast for my lathe spindle?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Hill

Reaction score
IMGP9196 by aardvark_akubra, on Flickr

I have a Drummond 3 1/2" flat bed lathe from about 1908. It has bronze bearings with oil cup lubrication. My next task is to rig up a motor for this and I would like indications on the maximum speed I should allow for in my drive system. Spindle is about 1" diameter.

Thanks

Not sure about spindle speed?
About 860 to maybe max 1000 rpm?

Love the lathe!!!
Did you restore it?

Andrew

Hello John,

What a beautiful lathe. Did you restore it?

Andrew is spot on for spindle speed recommendation. I just looked on lathes.com.uk and found a Drummond speed plate from a similar vintage lathe and the maximum RPM was 875. In 1908, the predominate tool material was high carbon tool steel, so the cutting speeds that were possible were 1/3 to 1/2 of high speed steel (HSS). The lathe's spindle is a plain bearing design, so 1000 RPM would be a safe bet for a maximum.

If you haven't seen the Drummond pages on lathes.com.uk, you definitely have to check them out. There is a wealth of information there. http://www.lathes.co.uk/drummond/page3.html

There are photos of Drummond countershafts there and you are sure to get some ideas for your design.

Regards,
Mike

Hello again,

Looking at your chip tray and the relief near the headstock, it looks like your lathe may have originally been a foot-powered version. Do you still have any of that equipment? I know that it isn't practical to use now, but it sure would be cool. Thm:

Regards,
Mike

Thanks Andrew, Mike.

Yes, I have seen the lathes.uk site, in fact I have practically memorised the pages relating to my lathe! Seems I should have studied the 'M' type pages too which give an indication of speed for that model. :eek:

Yes, it was originally treadle and I have the iron legs but the treadle itself and the flywheel were lost long ago. :(

Gorgeous lathe!! Thm: Thm:

Wonder if you could find a period motor for the set. Something like and old Bodine.

I would set it at 860 then. The spindle will generate heat as the square of the journal velocity...if you double the speed, you get 4 times the heat. It don't take much. Once the gap closes up, the temp will take off and it becomes a chain reaction...sometimes resulting in a seizure.

I would start slow and walk the speed up easy and keep checking the housing for temp. If its hot enough to hurt you , it's hot enough to hurt it......If she's happy at a 1000, and it turns good parts...Your there!

Just don't want to see anything happen to that pretty lathe...that's all. :bow: :bow: ;D

Dave

Latest posts

Back