How do we do it?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Bogstandard

Hi Mem's
I was reading a post by a new member called New Beginnings, where he doesn't have the facilities or the wherewithall to begin making little engines from barstock, but the enthusiasm was there. Are we here to sing our own praises or help less fortunate people to start in this great, I wouldn't call it a hobby, but a passion.
If you make an engine, and get it running, don't be afraid to tell people of your pitfalls and mistakes, I do and hopefully this will help someone to make their project run.
Next come the plans, these are made by generous people who have found a way to convey their way of making a running engine. But be aware, it is THEIR way of doing things. A lot of it is purely cosmetic, if it shows a beautiful turned column with tapers and bobbly bits it is their way of putting a personal stamp on it. Just this alone can put off a beginner because he doesn't know how to do it. A totally plain column will suffice, the bobbly bits come later. Look at a set of plans and say to yourself, does that have to be like that or can I leave it out, does it have to be made of that, can something else be used instead.
I am not trying to blow my own trumpet here, but I have made a simple to make elbow engine, and it seems that now everyone wants to build one. But I made so many changes to the original design because of my limitations and lack of materials, but it still ended up running. Why make the flywheel out of 3 1/2" diameter pipe with an aluminium insert. Do you have a bit of pipe knocking about, I certainly didn't, but I did have a piece of 4"x 4" thick ali plate, so that was my flywheel, took a bit longer, but it works. I hate working with steel plate, and I spell that with a capital H. So what do I do?. Again I used ali plate for the upright, but the wearing properties are no use, so I decided to put a cast iron bearing on the upright, this also made the job of cutting the ports a lot easier, just meant I had to adjust the mounting bolt holes and the port drillings slightly.
What I am trying to get at here is that drawings are not written in stone, use your imagination. If the timing and ports end up in the right place, if the rods and linkages are the right length and the holes are in the right place you should end up with a running engine, if you haven't got brass to make something, can you get away with ali with a brass insert, takes a bit longer but usually it will work. Don't get frustrated if you make a mistake, either try to put it right or make a new one. Don't rush things, their are no production times on these little engines, it will still be there the next day, they don't get up and run away. Just do it to the best of your ability, things do get better and easier with experience.
Lets help these people get started, explain what you did to make it easier, where you made changes to the drawing specs. Answer questions when asked, and no question is too silly, we all had to start somewhere.
You never know, you might just be helping the next Einstein on his (or her) way.
Machinery comes in all shapes and sizes, not everyone can have what most of us here already have. My first 'lathe' was a clamp on hand grinder where I had taken off the grindstone and put a drill chuck on, turn with the left hand and gouge out the metal in the chuck with a ground down file with the other hand, but I did make my first engine this way, nowadays I would use a cheap electric drill clamped to the bench. A hacksaw and file does the same as a miller, just takes longer with a lot of sweat and swearing involved, but can be done. A square, centre square, ruler and compass can be used to good effect, a masonry nail makes a good centre punch, the list goes on. Let people know what you can do with a bit of ingenuity. You are not going to patent all this so why not share your knowledge and get this site recognised for what it should be.
A place of help and discussion about our passion to make small (or not so small) barstock engines. This is what newcomers need.
I am sorry if this has offended anyone, but it needed to be said.

John

John,

I for one am not offended by what you have said.

I felt lucky my first little engine ran, oh what a feeling. What gave me the insperation to build one was joining this forum and being able to see what the other folks were building and having folks answer my questions. I have felt a lot of encuragement here and have not seen anything negative. Seeing the pretty workmanship being done here gives me the desire to do more and get better at building little engines.

It is true that someone just starting out with machines may have a hard time building some engines, but there is always a way, as you said. Getting your first lathe is a big, big deal. Then the tools to go with it can be quite a task that can go on for years to come. At the same time, the file or other tool you started with will continue to be used and you will be glad you have it. I have seen, what I feel, some very nice things made with a hammer and file.

Encuragement is the key.

Kenny

Just how exactly does the elbow engine work?,I can't seem to work it out, Ive only just joined this forum, maybe you've posted plans elswhere I'll have a look later,I'm supposed to be doing something else right now!

Hi Gilessim
As each elbow is fully into the brass rotating blocks, one in the flywheel and one in the base, a port is opened that allows air onto the end of each of the two ends of the elbow, thus trying to push them out of the blocks, because the force is at a tangent to the rotating blocks they start to move, so the brass blocks rotate, and so the next elbow is at the bottom, uncovering the air passage to it and so on. As the next one has air pressure to it the previous one is now over a port that lets the air escape, and because it is rotating the pistons are forced into the blocks mechanically until again it is over a port and gets another injection of air, so continuous movement.
So the sequence for each elbow is - air injection -> rotate to next port -> expel air -> mechanically move in -> air injection - continue ->.
Very difficult to explain, but when you have one in your hands it all becomes clear.

John

John I can't see how a post like yours could possibly offend anyone here.
When I built this forum my idea was to try to bring together the hobby
machinists, as well as any aspiring beginner interested in building engines.
I've been doing that for some time now, and learn something new every day.
I've been a machinist for 29 years and in the industrial end, I learn something
new every day.

My intention for this forum was to try to make it everything you’re saying it
should be.

Thanks for taking the time to put it to words!

Rick

Thanks John ,I just saw your vid ,fantastic!.I just happen to have a length of 1/4" silver steel and an offcut of 4" ally bar that I was given so I'll have to have a go!...Giles

John,

I totally agree with your statement. When I first got interested in buildning my own steam engine and started looking for plans I often rejected them because their design exceeded my abilities. Nowadays when I look at a, at least for me, complicated engine I try to find solutions for making the constructing as simple as possible. I find it a bit exciting comparing a finished engine with its plans. There is often something that differs. This has been a way for me to open my eyes for modifications.

For 18 years I called this machine mine.
I operated it for 10 hours a day on average.
OM1.jpg

It's a vertical boring mill, (a big lathe turned on end) that could spin parts
up to 117" in diameter. The guy at the controls in the picture is a the
fellow I worked opposite of for that time.
On that machine I could cut a 2" lead buttress thread 1-1/32" deep in a
5 foot diameter rock crusher bowl that would thread perfectly into it's
adjusting nut. I have to say there are times I miss machine 251.
Making model parts at work would have been a little tricky... :lol:
So the model making is still a whole new ball of wax for me.
There's a bit of a difference between a 5 foot-2" lead thread and a 2-56
thread. It's still the same basic principal but a whole new world!
Adapting your skills to the task at hand is what it is all about.
And I'm loving it! :wink:

Latest posts

Back