How do i make left treads on my lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larsinist

Reaction score
I have cj9525 lathe,its a copy of the sieg c6,but i dont understand how i make left treads,does anybody have a scheme,or can someone please explain it to me
I did upload a picture of my scheme,but like i said, i dont understand it,i could allmost make some bad right treads,but i think i have done something wrong with my gears

image.jpg

Leadscrew gearing for either right or left-hand threads will be the same. Then there are two ways to proceed:

1) Normal work rotation with the carriage moving left to right (that's what I do)

2) Reverse work rotation and carriage right to left with threading tool upside down (or right side up and behind the work).

On the c6 / grizzly g0516 there should be a tapped hole to mount a 40t reversing idler gear wheel, the mounting hole is up near the spindle. Also the existing 40t gear needs to be moved. There are details in the manual which you can read here http://grizzly.com/products/g0516

The reverse setup is explained on page 29.

Regards,

Steve.

Thanks for fast reply,i need to make left m10 i think,its for my trailer,to the brake adjuster,it can be purchased where i live in Northern part of norway, and i really need it tomorrow.i got the part where you said that i need to go from left to right,for to make the left treads.i only got the problems with the gears,i will mount the treadcutter steal upside down.
I can go in my garage if you want more pictures,...hope for some help here,sorry for beeing a lathe noob

If it's standard M10, it will be 1.5mm pitch. Is see that you have marked this on the chart, so gear position at D will be 66 tooth, gear F will be 75 tooth, gear E will be 80 tooth and gear L is 50 tooth. This is a compound gear train, I can't make out the bit on the bottom of your chart, I assume that it is showing where gears D, F, E and L are mounted.

Paul.

Now i have mounted the left idler wheels, see puc, i will try the rest now

image.jpg

If it's standard M10, it will be 1.5mm pitch. Is see that you have marked this on the chart, so gear position at D will be 66 tooth, gear F will be 75 tooth, gear E will be 80 tooth and gear L is 50 tooth. This is a compound gear train, I can't make out the bit on the bottom of your chart, I assume that it is showing where gears D, F, E and L are mounted.

Paul.
Is the upper gear rod where i shall mount the gear D,and the middle gear rod,where i shall mount the gear F,and the bottom gear rod,where i shall mount the gear E?,where shall i mount gear L

image.jpg

Now i have mounted the 66 tooth gear, is it at the right place?

image.jpg

Now it is like this, them small gears are just there so i can thight the nut on the gear rod,is it right,what speed shall i use

image.jpg

From reading the name plate, you need to mount the 80 tooth gear under the 66.
Mount the 75 tooth gear on the same shaft as the 80 tooth.
Mount the 50 tooth gear on the leadscrew shaft with a spacer so it meshes with the 75 tooth gear.

For RPM I would run at the slowest RPM the lathe has, My g0516's slowest speed is 150 rpm.

Regards,

Steve.

P.S.
The small vertical lines in the gear chart indicate which gears should be in mesh.

Last edited:
Is the upper gear rod where i shall mount the gear D,and the middle gear rod,where i shall mount the gear F,and the bottom gear rod,where i shall mount the gear E?,where shall i mount gear L

I'm glad that others are helping out, they probably have a similar lathe, mine is a bigger lathe. There is usually some sort of diagram showing the position of the gears called for.

Paul.

Latest posts

Back