Hot, humid weather conditions. (related to engine running)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbritnell

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
In all my readings I remember someone saying they had trouble running one of their engines. I don't remember if it was ignition specific or just running in general. One of the responses was in regard to the humidity. I read it but didn't give it much credence as I had run my engines in a variety of condition with seemingly no problems.

Well today was a first. I was getting my engines ready for an old engine show this weekend and had been running them over the last two weeks. One by one I started and fine tuned them with no trouble. Well today I took my most trustworthy engine, the Holt, out of it's hiding place and figured I would give it one last start before the weekend. I cranked it over for almost 10 seconds with no response. I quit and checked the spark. Good spark and the timing was right where it should be. I started cranking again, this time slowly richening the mixture as cranked. It finally fired but didn't want to run very well. This is very strange for this engine as it has been bulletproof since it's first firing. It built up a little heat and seemed to run somewhat better but still not like it's old self.

At this point the neighbor stopped by and watched as I tinkered with the engine, changing plugs, adjusting needles and scratching my head. He offered that maybe it was because of the heat and humidity, 91 degrees and 90% humidity. I said I had never had this problem before but all the while thinking that I could never remember trying to run them on a day like today. Just being out in the garage kept me reaching for a paper towel to sop up the sweat dripping from my balding head.

I wasn't getting anywhere with the Holt so I asked him if he has ever seen my 302 run, all the while knowing that I had just run it 2 days prior without a hitch. He said he hadn't so I rushed down into the basement to gather it up. A quick fill of fuel and plug in of all the necessary electrical wires and I hit the starter, nothing. I cranked for almost ten seconds and finally got a couple of hits from it. Now feeling a little embarrassed I kept cranking, 15 seconds, 20 seconds. It finally caught and started to run. The neighbor asked if it always took that long to start. "No" is said but then the Holt always started without fail also.

I can only come to one conclusion, the heat and humidity. I can't tell you why but it has to be. It's the only variable that has changed.
So I have discovered yet another trait of these little demons. The are very affected by the weather. I am going out early tomorrow morning to refire the Holt and see if things change. I'm expecting so. I'll keep you informed.
George

Same thing happened to me G. Took the Peewee to a car related event and it ran very poor. Now that you mention it, it was very hot and humid that day. Got it home in a cooler place and it ran great. I think you are on to something!!

George
I've encountered the same thing with the little Victorian engine. High humidity makes it quite temperamental and requires a whole different carb adjustment to get it to start and run. It likes drier, colder air much better and proves it by running a whole lot smoother across a wider range of fuel mixtures.

I'm swapping from the standard carb to a Jan Ridder style foam tank to see if it will eliminate the differences in performance. His latest design is just way to simple not to give it a try.

Steve

Latest posts

Back