Home made Pyrometer

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powder keg

Reaction score
I started casting about 4 years ago. I read all the books I could find on the subject. But until you ram up a flask and pore some molten metal into it in a furnace that you made, you won't know how to do it. Casting is fairly easy and the learning curve is fairly steep. Nearly all the problems I have had was because I wasn't paying attention to the books:eek:) The main problem that haunted my foundry was judging the temp. It boiled down to sometimes I got lucky sometimes I didn't. Every book I read mentioned needing a pyrometer. I was just to frugal to spend the dough to buy one. Their expensive you know:eek:) I can't remember where I got the idea but I found a pyrometer gauge for a kiln and a probe on Ebay for 20 or 30 dollars. The meter went to 2500 degrees, which is close to where I needed to be for bronze. When they arrived I made a quick handle that housed the meter and the probe. The wires go up through the pipe. Near the probe I had trouble with the wires starting to melt. I wrapped this joint with an old fiberglass glove and some KO wool.

Sorry, I had trouble posting pictures. Something about me forgetting my password to photobucket:eek:( I'll get them up tomorrow along with a link for those meters.

Wes

I remembered:eek:) !!!

CIMG0568.jpg

CIMG0569.jpg

CIMG0570.jpg

Thanks for posting, I'll look around for stuff to build one of my own!

No problem:eek:) I forgot, Here Is a link to some gauges about half way down. They also pop up on Ebay ounce in a while. Just make sure you get the longest probe you can and the gauge reads high enough. I think the probe on mine is 8" long.

Later, Wes

Thanks for sharing. I'll add this to my list.... oh, wait - I ran out of paper... ;)

-Brian

No sheep were harmed during the production of these photos ;)

Latest posts

Back