Home brew flame licker

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullpeters

Reaction score
Hello
I am wanting to make a flame licker engine. I have looked at several plans and am wondering what chance of success if I just make it up as I go along. I was thinking aluminum body, cast iron piston, as long as what I can find in bin, then workout valve, timing, flywheel dimensions from what fits.
This would be my first build, not really bothered if I make a few bits of scrap
Are there any critical relationships to bear in mind
Stroke/bore/ etc
I realize following a plan would increase my chances of a working model, how ever it would be very rewarding to work it out myself
Thoughts?

I have built 1 flamelicker, and it was also my first engine. All I can tell you is that they make very little power and generally barely make enough just to sustain themselves. For this reason, they are very unforgiving and getting them to run is a challenge of it's own. I think you'd have a much better chance of a running engine if you build to a plan first, then change bits out and experiment maybe? Whichever way you go - good luck and please post your build.

Keep friction low as possible and make piston light as possible. All running surfaces must be smooth, better polished if possible. Use thinn oil as lube.

ok, all taken on board. What about compressed air? Think that would be any easier? Main reason for "making it up as i go along" is my inability to read a plan and to work to a stated dimension. I do alot better working "empericaly". The see if it fits approach

Back