Hoglet in progress

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Kustomkb:

Since I last posted (I mostly lurk and enjoy), I have finished the cylinder heads, valve train, push rods, exhaust pipes, etc., and machined the bottoms of the cylinders. However, the cylinder bores and fins cannot be done on my Sherline (nowhere near rigid enough) so I am waiting to use an old 9 inch Southbend at work which won't be set up until January.

I got sidetracked with a Mills 1.3 project from Issue 1 of MEB which I just finished (was inspired by seeing Metal Mickey's posts here a few months ago). I am taking photographs of it this weekend maybe and will also post progress pics on the Hoglet.

M.

Hi gmac:

I used the plans from MEB but have not seen the plans from Cox so I don't know what the differences are, if any.

M.

Thats great workmanship. Just like i showed you. Really very very nice

Mati,
Would it be possible to see a pic or drawing of how you did your flywheels from solid ?
thanks !

BMyers,

Glad to, but as I have the project "on the back burner" it will be a few days - I'll have to disassemble the crankcase, get the wheels out and take pictures.

Best regards, Mati

Mati,
no rush, I just started cutting up materials today for the crankcase.
thank you

Hi BMyers:

Here is a pic of the crankshaft/flywheel so far. If you download the image it is much clearer - they always seem to have jaggies in here.

The shafts and con rod pin are all joined to the flywheels by the "expanding mandrel" method descibed in the MEB build article for attaching the pinion gear. I can't guarantee that this will work but it seems really solid when assembled. The problem now is to balance this thing. The original design is virtually self balancing, but I will likely need to remove material from either side of the crank pin.

M.

HogletCrankshaft.jpg

Hi kustomkb:

While taking the pics for BMyers I remembered that you asked for pics of the cylinder heads a long time ago - sorry, got side tracked on other projects and forgot. Here they are (much better downloaded). I made the valves 5/16 rather than 3/8 as I had the stock, reamer, etc. on hand. I hope they still work. Couldn't find any appropriate e-clips so I made my own from brass.

HogletCylinderHeads.jpg

M.

P.S. to all: is it possible to get rid of the "jaggies" on linked pics? Am I saving them incorrectly somehow?

Matir
Your images are OK. I don't know all the details, but the message board reduces the size of larger photos to a standardized maximum of 800 pixel width and the compression loses some resolution.

The original image is still available however.
Right click on the photo in the message and then left click on "view image".

I am enjoying the Hoglet build thread. Thanks for posting it.

Gail in NM,USA

Your parts are looking great, very nice finish!

I have had a lot on my plate lately and will get back to my build soon.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Thanks for the kind comments.

I think my "jaggie" problem stems from having a large, high-resolution monitor. The pictures have to be displayed at some optimum size to be smooth so viewing them downloaded works best for me.

GailinNM, right-clicking on the image does not give any options to view the image (Vista Ultimate 64 bit SP1).

M.

I am wondering, is there any reason the crankshaft front and back pins couldn't be a press fit into the flywheels and use the expanding mandrel method for the crank throw pin ?

Being new to the machining culture, I'll leave the answer to the experts. I confess that I used the expanding mandrel method because that was what was in my mind at the time and I wanted to make lots of chips. I see no reason why they could not be pressed, but you would need a press to make them perpendicular with accuracy to the flywheels. I have "kludged" pressing very small shafts with a vise, but it could be risky at this scale.

:bow:

If You're new to the machining culture I'd bet in 1 or 2 years we'll see your 1/20 flying shuttle model !

Hi MatiR,

Did you use A311/ 1144 for your valves and cam.

Did you pick it up locally?

Thanks.

KustomKB;
I've spoken to Metal Supermarkets in Langley (back in Jan/Feb) and at that time they only carried 1144 in metric dimensions Ground to size. The size range they carried at that time was from 6mm up to 40mm. As price points a foot of 20mm was $12.28 and 40mm was $30.50. I've been meaning to put together an order of 1144 with Online Metals (they state they now have cheaper/streamlined shipping to Canada).
PS thanks to both you and MatiR, your WIP's have encouraged me to buy the plans for the Hoglet and I'm about to start making the simpler parts.
Cheers
Garry

Thanks Alot Gary.

Maybe we should combine our orders?

Make sure you document your build, like you say,seeing others work really boosts the inspiration.

Kevin.

We now return you to MatiR's build already in progress ;D

kustomkb said:
Hi MatiR,

Did you use A311/ 1144 for your valves and cam.

Did you pick it up locally?

Thanks.

Hi kustomkb:

I got 1144 for the cam blank from Online Metals http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=286&step=2&top_cat=0

About a year ago, a 0.875 x 3 inch piece was $1.22. I buy most of my metal from them as you can get as little as you want, the pieces are carefully wrapped, the service is excellent and the site is really easy to use with lots of data on each metal. However, the UPS costs and customs to Canada can be brutal so I usually do only fairly large orders so the per piece shipping costs are low. I have been very happy with them.

I went to Metal Supermarket in Burnaby a couple of years ago and they didn't have hardly anything in "small engine size" in stock and the stuff I ordered to be delivered later came tumbled in a paper bag. Also, it is hard to get small pieces. For example, I wanted a few inches of 1 inch cast iron for piston rings for the Upshur Twin and they would not sell less than 6 feet on special order! Used Small Parts for that.

The valves are from oil hardening drill rod as I had lots on hand.

Got to finish this some day!

gmac said:
I've been meaning to put together an order of 1144 with Online Metals (they state they now have cheaper/streamlined shipping to Canada).

Hi Garry, this streamlined shipping is good news. I didn't realize this as I haven't needed any metal recently until backlogged projects get finished, like the Hoglet.

Good luck with the build!

Latest posts

Back