Hobbies Arrow Build

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like all this 'covert' engine building, Jim. Kind of fun, like a spy novel for model makers;
"...Will he get caught and sent to the gulag...?" ;D

The rudder looks a beauty. Nice, clean job there.
Thanks for the update!

Dean

Deanofid said:
I like all this 'covert' engine building, Jim. Kind of fun, like a spy novel for model makers;
"...Will he get caught and sent to the gulag...?" ;D

The rudder looks a beauty. Nice, clean job there.
Thanks for the update!

Dean

;D It's quite fun having to do this in any spare moment I get in the workshop, and thinking of cover stories for it!

I didn't make the rudder, nor the prop-shaft! Far to nice a job for me to have done!

I received the wood pack and propeller today! Brilliant service from Hobbies! Came well packed and delivered in good time considering the items were out of stock last week!

Also, rang up a friend of mine who owns a boiler works and have organised a day sometime next week when I can go down and use his facilities to silver solder my boiler! Should be able to get a far neater job done as I will be able to use better blow torches and a nice big hearth!

Finally, some progress! Today, I beat the end caps out over the former...

The former...luckily, the Bowman boiler I am basing this on has the same diameter as the Elizabeth boiler I have already made!

P1050577.jpg

The end caps - far from perfect, but they are going inside so it doesn't matter. Still need pickling and cleaning...

P1050578.jpg

P1050579.jpg

Then I thought I would have a go at making a female former to go on top of the male one. Taught myself how to set up and use a boring bar for the first time and made this...

P1050581.jpg

P1050582.jpg

P1050584.jpg

Also, a friend of mine has given me the brass I need for the frame and port-face, the stainless steel I need for the crank, piston rod etc and hopefully some phosphor bronze to remake the bushes without turning down my 2.5" dia block!

Good work on the forming die, Jim! You're a thinking fellow, and give me high hopes for the
next generation of home machinists/model engineers. Keep it up!

Dean

Deanofid said:
Good work on the forming die, Jim! You're a thinking fellow, and give me high hopes for the
next generation of home machinists/model engineers. Keep it up!

Dean

Thanks mate! I had some problems with the die today. Me, in my infinate wisdom forgot to put a lead on for the endap to start taking...I put one in, but I dont personally feel it is enough looking at others that I have seen...still, I am only experimenting at the moment! Shall take it down to my boilermaking freind and see what he suggests. Shall probably try a larger lead on it...but I am going through copper sheet at a rate of knots experimenting!

I think our hobbies not as dead amongst us 'youves' as some people make it out to be! :)

Jim

Update! Received the metal a freind of mine sent for me. Very kind of him I feel, especially considering he sent me far more of each peice than I need! ;D

Some brass plate for the engine frame and port face (forget the sizes of these)...

P1050585.jpg

1/8" Stainless Steel for the piston rod, crankshaft and cylinder pin...

P1050586.jpg

A nice lump of Phosphor Bronze to make my boiler bushes - waaaaaay more bronze than I need!

P1050587.jpg

The lot together!

P1050588.jpg

You can NEVER have more stock than you need! th_rulze th_rulze *club*

It seems you always need what you don't have on hand.

Eagerly awaiting more of the build.

Ron

ozzie46 said:
You can NEVER have more stock than you need! th_rulze th_rulze *club*

It seems you always need what you don't have on hand.

Eagerly awaiting more of the build.

Ron

I agree! I was genuinley amazed I was out of 1/8" Stainless!

Another freind of mine with an engineering works keeps offcuts for me! Which reminds me, he says he has some for me to go and pick up soon!

You're getting along well Jim Thm:

Oh, and like Ron said ! ;D

Kind regards, Arnold

Back