Hobbies Arrow Build

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steamyjim

Reaction score
I have decided to make a Hobbies Arrow for my Granddads Christmas present this year!

I decided, that I would rather make the engine and boiler for it than buy one ready made! The engine is built to the design of Stan Brays 'Slim Sam' in his book 'Building Simple Model Steam Engines' and I am basing the boiler upon that of a Bowman M135 - I shall probably use copper as opposed to brass however...unless anyone has some 1 1/2" brass tube?

Had a few hours spare in the workshop today, so I decided to make a start on the engine...

Firstly, a flywheel, this still needs the fixing screw hole drilled and tapped inside it.

P1050201.jpg

The Crank...

P1050200.jpg

Start of the cylinder...

P1050202.jpg

Cylinder End Cap...

P1050203.jpg

...shall probably remake this to my own dimensions to fit fit the cylinder better. I made the end cap first and didn't think of checking...

P1050205.jpg

Piston...

P1050211.jpg

As it's going to be based on a Bowman, I needed one of these...

P1050206.jpg

...so...

P1050208.jpg

...still needs the hole drilled in for the little brass lever on the side and I need some 1/8" stainless steel rod for the middle...

P1050210.jpg

...not exactly a rival to MF Steams replicas, but not bad. Shown with boiler bush.

P1050207.jpg

Shall hopefully get a bit more done this week, plan to make the lubricator, filler plug and other boiler bushings next! :D

Good start steamyjim Thm:

Stick to the copper for the boiler rather than build it from brass; copper is better, as it does not deteriorate like brass in a boiler. Have a look at the "Boilers" section; there is a good amount of information on this issue.

Regards, Arnold

Yep, wot Arnold said - copper for the boiler. Bronze for the bushes.

Good start tho' - keep us posted!

Thanks for the replies! I shall go for Copper! I have made brass bushes already, will they be okay? The reason I have done this over Bronze is that I only have Bronze in 2" billets and it seems such a huge waste!

Shall keep you all up to date!

The reason I planned to use brass, is that I am replicating an old Bowman Steam Boat from the 1920's which had a brass boiler. I much prefer the polish brass gives, also, the pressures I am using will not be very high as it is based upon a toy rather than a model. I'll think about it, but I am taking your suggestions!

steamyjim said:
The reason I have done this over Bronze is that I only have Bronze in 2" billets and it seems such a huge waste!

It's also a huge waste to be burned or lose a body part as the brass de-zincs and leaves the boiler at high velocity.

Sorry if that's a bit abrupt but SAFETY FIRST.

Best Regards
Bob

Maryak said:
It's also a huge waste to be burned or lose a body part as the brass de-zincs and leaves the boiler at high velocity.

Sorry if that's a bit abrupt but SAFETY FIRST.

Best Regards
Bob

Crikey! Can I just ask, there is probably something I am missing here, but the vast majority of toy steam engines from the last 100 - 120 years have all had brass bushes in brass boilers. I don't have engines that old, but have some dating to about 1920, again with brass boilers and bushings, I have not seen any cases of de-zinc on these engines and still run well.

However, I am not denying the problems with brass bushings, I would just like to know more about it! To the boiler section I think! ;D

Hey Jim, weren't you building the 'Elizabeth' too? Are you still pecking away on that one?
You're leaving me in suspense!

Dean

Deanofid said:
Hey Jim, weren't you building the 'Elizabeth' too? Are you still pecking away on that one?
You're leaving me in suspense!

Dean

Yes I am definatly still building 'Elizabeth'! I just have no sheet steel of suitable thickness to do what I need to do now. Also, I have to do this when my granddad is away from the workshop as the boat is his Christmas present. He has just had an operation and so hasn't been in the workshop for the last few days, when he does come out every 3 or 4 hours to see what im doing, I just pop a peice of 'Elizabeth' in the lathe and make it look like I am doing that!

Ok Jim

This is our secret. :big:

Nice build by the way

Stew

sbwhart said:
Ok Jim

This is our secret. :big:

Nice build by the way

Stew

Excellent! 8)

And... thank-you! Am really starting to enjoying using all these different skills!

No pictures, but made some progress today! Made a displacement lubricator based upon a Cheddar Models one (still need to silver solder the steam feed/oil outlet pipe in). I also made the big end.

Have received a set of hull plans from a friend! Shall photocopy these to get the exact templates.

Shall order the wood pack tonight! :D

An update. Have ordered the wood pack, prop-shaft, propeller and rudder assembly today! Shall hopefully receive them on Wednesday I guess.

Also, some physical progress!

The start of the lubricator. This is based on the Cheddar Models one, just about an 1/8" longer...don't know why :lol:

P1050300.jpg

Needs a hole drilled through it, the centre tube drilled and silver soldered in. Need to get some Easyflow No.2 first though...any ideas?

P1050301.jpg

Big end, didn't like the square one on the drawing, so did this out of hex stock instead. Also meant I didn't have to use a 4-Jaw! Shall use this design on my Elizabeth build.

P1050305.jpg

P1050306.jpg

A replica Bowman filler plug. The handle needs cutting down, I left it longer so it was easier to hold during soldering. The solder needs cleaning up really :-| Made a boiler bush for it too.

P1050307.jpg

Threaded on...

P1050308.jpg

A set of plans borrowed from a friend on another forum.

P1050299.jpg

Received the prop shaft and rudder assembly today. Am still waiting on the wood pack and propeller :D

Also made a start on the boiler end caps, then my granddad came home, so work had to be quickly put under the bench! :big:

steamyjim said:
...so work had to be quickly put under the bench! :big:

You're such a crafty sneak, Jim! ;D

Be sure to keep us updated on this one!

Dean

Deanofid said:
You're such a crafty sneak, Jim! ;D

Be sure to keep us updated on this one!

Dean

The game is afoot...Watson! ;)

Shall keep you all up to date! ;D

Just received a letter from Hobbies saying the propeller isn't in stock. Shame, but I am in no rush for it! The letter says the wood-pack has been sent, I have not, however received it yet, shall go down to the post office and see if it has come in though!

Some photos...

Prop Shaft

P1050410.jpg

Rudder

P1050411.jpg

Both Together. Both of these items are very nicely made in my opinion! :D

P1050412.jpg

Nearly finished the first stage of making the end-caps today. Didn't have long on it, the one on the right is finished bar beating around the former. The one on the left has only been cut to this stage using a nibbler.

P1050413.jpg

The one that needs finishing off. So far, I have only used a nibbler so need to finish with a bit more 'nibbling' and then file down perfectly! :D

P1050414.jpg

Just wanted to put a good word in for Hobbies! Brilliant service! They tried to ring me a few times but I wasn't in. They then emailed me to ask me to ring them, but before I saw the email, they had tried ringing me, this time successfully!

All they wanted to say I ordered all the bits I needed, minus the plans, and were just checking I had the plans to be able to build the boat. They also seem to have done a good job getting the brass prop that was out of stock when sent in and sent out yesterday!

Jim

Now watching this with interest. You are making good progress and it may encourage me to look at a boat for one of my engines.

Keep it up, can't be easy constantly looking over your shoulder. You'll have to make some progress on Elizabeth at some point otherwise suspicions could be raised.

Pete

doubletop said:
Jim

Now watching this with interest. You are making good progress and it may encourage me to look at a boat for one of my engines.

Keep it up, can't be easy constantly looking over your shoulder. You'll have to make some progress on Elizabeth at some point otherwise suspicions could be raised.

Pete

Thanks! I do recommend a boat for marine engines! I have a few steam boats, but this is the first I shall be building!

No, not easy, got caught making a boiler end cap today! said it was practice using the nibbler ready for another of Tubal Cains engines! I need to make a new lubricator as while I was making it, I said it was for Elizabeth!

Back