hitorque lathe high torque!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCRIPPPer

Reaction score
hi guys. a few months back i posted a thread asking about making a speed reducer for my mini lathe. some guys recommended using poly-v/ micro-v belts, so i ordered some up and got them a while ago. i also bought some material and have made a part once in a while and have finally got something going. pictures are worth a thousand words, so here you go.

some of the parts

all the pulleys

here is the cutting tool i made for the job.

mocked up

minimum speed in low range is 27rpm, max is 825rpm , with significant torque. will be good for threading and tapping. ratio from chuck to motor is about 7:1 (original belt is 2:1). to measure the speed i used a home made worm wheel and screw. timed how long it took to advance 310 teeth (the gear had some weird number and i just counted the tens to make it easy). it took over 11 minutes at low speed!

i still need to make proper tensioners for the belt. even with incorrect tension on the belts it has more usable power than before!

Very nice job! I took the easy route on mine and made the smallest motor pulley I could to reduce the minimum speed from 180 rpm to a more reasonable 100 rpm. Of course the top speed is slower but it's not been a problem so far.

Edit: I mixed up the loose side of the belt.

just realized i had not updated this thread with the latest mods.

made a device to engage and disengage the pulley with a lever, although have not finished that part yet.

right now i use it to relieve tension so i can change belt speed, then i just turn the thing and it tightens the belt again.

Latest posts

Back