Hexagon heads size for British Association hex fasteners (screws, bolts)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wce4

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking for a table, chart or cheat sheet for the hex head (imperial size preferred) sizes for BA hex head bolts.
H, F and G size as shown in included jpg dwg.
5BA, 6BA, 7BA, 8BA, 10BA and 12BA

Thanks in advance for any information. :)

Hex-Bolt.jpg

I have several sizes of hex BA screws if you just need a small quantity , some with a size smaller head to give better appearance (as already said)
Dan.

A good idea to make your own if you only need a few , I have a coventry die head with 6,8,10 and 12 BA dies.
Here's a video I made some years ago , I needed some small screws for something , can't remember what though !
Dan

If you are making your own, you will find set of running down cutters very useful. Each one is sized to a specific BA screw thread. With a single pass, hex bar is reduced, ready for tapping. I*m not sure they are still available. Mine are Dormer.

Attachments

• Running down cutters.png
    Running down cutters.png
    6.8 MB · Views: 7
I*ve a Coventry Die Head too,but only for a couple of sizes

If you are making your own, you will find set of running down cutters very useful. Each one is sized to a specific BA screw thread. With a single pass, hex bar is reduced, ready for tapping. I*m not sure they are still available. Mine are Dormer.
Thank you for the information, I never knew such an item exists.:)

I have a question where do you purchase hex screw stock for the hobbyist,
or does one need to machine his own ? 🤔
I am looking for hex bar stock to machine some 7ba screws. (0.172 hex)

It's getting harder to come buy in the UK let alone the parts of the world where BA is not commonly used, Even some of the makers of BA fixings are having to resort to metric sizes for some BA hex.

So either make your own from round or find a near match such as 11/64 from here Hex & Square - Steel & Stainless Steel

I have a question where do you purchase hex screw stock for the hobbyist,

In Tubal Cain's 'Model Engineer's Handbook', he discusses this issue (page 4.13 of third edition) and suggests 'nearest metric size', noting that the error is around 0.004" on the big size.

It's getting harder to come buy in the UK let alone the parts of the world where BA is not commonly used, Even some of the makers of BA fixings are having to resort to metric sizes for some BA hex.

So either make your own from round or find a near match such as 11/64 from here Hex & Square - Steel & Stainless Steel
Thanks Jasonb for the link to Godshall's Custom Machining & Live Stream unfortunately they are sold out of 11/64 hex 12L14 stock. 😟 I will give them a call on Monday to see when and if they will be restocking it.

If you are going as far as deviating from standard BA hex then it may be worth looking at a smaller size. One size smaller is often used for models particularly as the BA size increases for example the 2BA fixings supplied with the 1" x 2" Stuart Victoria, beam, etc look way too big.

These days I tend to use metric rather than BA for fixings and where 7BA is specified would opt for M2.5 which is so close in major diameter to 7BA it is not worth considering the difference. However I do use small hex metric heads and nuts and for the M2.5 thread they have a 3.5mm (0.138") A/F which looks far more like an old hex fixing than a 7BA or the even larger standard M2.5 hex size.

Latest posts

Back