Henry Ford's First Engine Plans

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slink74659

Reaction score
Anyone have a copy of the plans for this engine?
I would like to try building this.

Thanks,
Steve

I called and ordered a set. They are on their way now. Very nice guy to talk with.

I haven't received the plans for this engine yet, but my interest in it
is growing. Tom T's post Henry Fords first engine
of his finished engine made it a have to build.

I e-mailed Mr. John Bailey about his build and he
gave his permission to show his running video here.

<embed src="http://www.rake60.com/photogallery/Henry_Engine.mpeg" autoplay="false" hidden="false" loop="false" type="application/mediaplayer" wmode="transparent" width="350" heigth="425"></embed>
Or http://www.rake60.com/photogallery/Henry_Engine.mpeg

After seeing that it is a REAL HAVE TO BUILD!

Mr. Bailey also stated that there will be an article in the Dec/Jan issue of
Gas Engine Magazine on the engine.

Rick

I ordered the plans from:

Leon Ridenour
4610 Sunflower Rd
Knoxville, TN 37909
865-584-9759

He asks $40 for just the plans, but will include
a couple of hard to find parts for another $4

An incredibly nice guy to talk to!!!!

Rick

I received the plans and DVD from Mr. Ridenour today.
The DVD is amazing! He shows videos of almost every step of the
machining of the parts. The parts that he includes for the extra $4
is the piston ring, and two small, fine screens that will be the atomizing
screens for the intake.

If someone is looking for a Christmas gift idea for you in the range of,
oh say $44, give them Leon Ridenour's phone number! :wink:

Rick

Hi all,

I know a few of you have been following my oscillating engine described in Work In Progress. The engine is now finished apart from giving it a decent wooden base, it has been tested and runs very well. The bore is 3/16" dia and stroke is 1/2" giving it a cubic capacity of 0.226cc!

I followed my own plans rigidly with the exception of a couple of non-critical material changes. I used cast gunmetal for the flywheel as I had that closer to finished size, and I used mild steel for the crank and pivot pins instead of silver steel.

Although I did have problems bending the frame, I still think it's a valid method and if approached with a bit more thought and care, a better looking frame than mine will be achieved. However, as long as the same basic dimensions are kept, there is nothing to stop people from working out a different way of constructing the frame. Indeed, I will be making another variation with all the same parts except for a different frame, this time I will make the engine in a horizontal configuration using brass or steel angle and a bearing tube soldered into it. I originally planned to make a pair of these but I think I'll try this slight modification on the next one.

I am now therefore confident to release the drawings which I will attach to this thread in case anybody else wants to have a go at it. It was a nice little exercise, took me around 20 hours or so, and could be a break from a larger project or a good place for the beginner to start. At least in this scale it costs peanuts if you have to make more than 1 component!

I should stress that I am the only person that has used or seen these drawings so there could be mistakes. If anybody notices anything please shout up, also, if there are any questions I'll be glad to answer them.

Below is a picture and video of the finished engine mounted on a scrap piece of wood for the time being!

Nick

OliversAssembly.jpg

2009-02-0119-33-10_0001.jpg

Sounds like it's about to take off Nick!!

Nice one and thanks for uploading the drawings ;)

Hi

I am looking for plans for Virginia in electronic format. I have them for "Tich" but since I have started the virginia build using the M.E articles, with it being an old copy of the book, they are too small to work from and I`m struggling! It would be really helpful to get hold of some electronic plans if anyone knows where they could be purchased from. I know a few suppliers hold paper copies.

Mnbylcr2

Recibí los planos y el DVD del Sr. Ridenour hoy.
¡El DVD es increíble! Muestra videos de casi todos los pasos del
mecanizado de las piezas. Las partes que incluyen por $4 extra
es el anillo del pistón, y dos pantallas pequeñas y finas que serán el atomizador
pantallas para la toma.

Si alguien está buscando una idea de regalo de Navidad para ti en el rango de,
¡Oh, digamos $44, dales el número de teléfono de Leon Ridenour! :guiño:

Almiar
Hola, soy Rubén de España. ¿Sería tan amable de enviarme los planos del primer motor de Henry Ford con el CD
, ¿por favor?

Last edited:
hola que diametro carrera y largo tiene el pistón y que diámetro interior y exterior tiene el cilindro

Hi

I am looking for plans for Virginia in electronic format. I have them for "Tich" but since I have started the virginia build using the M.E articles, with it being an old copy of the book, they are too small to work from and I`m struggling! It would be really helpful to get hold of some electronic plans if anyone knows where they could be purchased from. I know a few suppliers hold paper copies.

Mnbylcr2
I think I have two copies of the original book on the Virginia plus one on the Tich.

Back