help with valves

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flopearedmule

Reaction score
Hi
I'm new to the board. I'm having fun trying to read all the past posts.
I have a question about a valve. The latest Model Engineer issue has a build involving the Gothic Novelty beam engine. There is a guy selling casting kits and plans to build this engine. He also has many more kits to buy, but he will only sell the plans if you buy his castings. They are out of my price range. The Gothic engine is $1100 not counting freight. I think he lives in Germany, so freight will be pretty high. He has another steam engine I am interested in building, so I have drawn my own version up in solidworks. Can anyone give me ideas on how I can build the valve? The persons name is Lothar Matrian that sells the kits. Here are pictures of his engine, and what I have drawn in SolidWorks. Thanks

Musgrave5.jpg

Musgrave6.jpg

musgrave.jpg

musgrave1.jpg

Paul Jacobs did a V engine with a triangular crank and wrote it up in Live Steam. Looks just like the one pictured.
I am sure if you check the index, you can find it.

Dave

PS if you can't find the back issue, tell me what issue it was...I might have it.

Welcome to HMEM flopearedmule70

That is certainly a beautiful engine you are trying to decode!

Rick

flopearedmule70

First Welcome to our forum
icon_welcome.gif

They look like Corliss valves to me.

Hope this helps ??? ???

Best Regards
Bob

Thanks
I might have to go to the library to try and find that book.
I have never seen this style of engine before, and it looked like a good one to start learning 3d CAD.

I hope this helps, I scanned the pages from Steam and Stirling 2, as I am going to draw up this engine too. The valve is a rotary valve. Very similar to a sliding valve in a standard steam engine, except it rotates...hopefully I get the pic with it, as I am confusing myself...long day at work after 5 weeks off

View attachment NDC-1.BMP

I found a copy of the prints for the NDC-1. It doesn't show anything on the prints for ports in the head. I guess you have to figure out on your own where they go. I have my own idea for exhausting the air, right in the middle of the valve. Anyone see why this won't work???

Snap1-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back