Help with casting

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Going to cast aluminium cylinder and wondering if I should use a core for the centre or just drill the centre out if so can u please explain how to do it ?

Making a core is the way to go. Too much waste in pouring a solid cylinder only to remove half of it again. I'll let the more experienced folks explain the details but I believe the core is rammed into a length of pvc tube and a stiff wire through the centre of the core.

I use Molasses mixed with sand to make my sand cores. I use a tube(that is slightly smaller than my rough diameter) to pack it in. then I remove it from the tube and bake it to harden it up a bit. Then I place it into my mold cavity, in the appropriate spot. When you pour your casting, the heat will cook off most of the molasses . After it cools, take a poke stick to the sand in hte hole and it should come out fairly easily.

Regards,

Will

Abec you have not said how big (or small) your cylinder is to be , if the bore is less than an inch diameter then you could bore it out in less time than it would take to make and fit a core.
If your casting does need a core ( I would use airset ) remember to include core prints on your pattern.

Latest posts

Back