Help understand plan section

Discussion in 'Plans' started by Jack3M, Feb 13, 2019.

Help Support HMEM by donating:

1. Feb 13, 2019 #1

Jack3M

Jack3M

Jack3M

The photo shows a section of a shaft in plans for a steam donkey. This shaft is called a drum shaft. Regardless, the plan is confusing the heck out of me. This is .5" shaft, drill rod.

It appears to me that the #19 drill is to a depth of 7/8. ?????
    Then, the slot, it wider and deeper than the shaft if you go that route, but only 5/8 wide thru the shaft completely if you go by the drawing.

So, the drawing is contradicting itself to me. Now I am no machinist, but heck I am not sure. 20190212_154720.jpg

I have looked further thru the plans and unable to find reasons for either the #19 hole or the slot.....yet. Minimal drawings and pictures to go from on this.... It looks like something would lock into a slot or use that as some sort of engagement feature.

Help! LOL

2. Feb 13, 2019 #2

Brian Rupnow

Brian Rupnow

Brian Rupnow

Well-Known Member Project of the Month Winner

The drawing is wrong. It contradicts itself. Possibly means a 1/16" wide slot completely through the 1/2" shaft.---A #19 drill is 0.166" diameter and the view where the slot is called out shows the slot being the same width as the drill.---Wait until you make some of the other parts and it may become clearer to you.---Brian

3. Feb 13, 2019 #3

Jack3M

Jack3M

Jack3M

Brian, as of now, that is where things will have to stand. The author of the book and plans has expired, so.......... He explains things in a way I find difficult to understand, approaches things in a difficult manner when easier options are avail, so........... Even been modifying materials to make things more financially feasible.