Help required to clean my desktop

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Early this morning, I was playing about saving articles to my computer. I am running 64 bit XP pro.

Somehow, I managed to get a load of files from this site spread all over my desktop, it just downloaded a big pile of them automatically.

Anyway, I managed to delete all of them (about 50 to 60), all except one.

I have tried all sorts of methods to make it disappear, but it just won't.

I have taken a screenshot of it, shown below.

Can anyone help or am I stuck with this little gremlin on my desktop until I reformat my drive?

Bogs

Trouble.jpg

perhaps you can go to the c drive and kill the folder its self .
right click computer then open then open c drive the program file and find that folder then try deleting the folder.
if its a bug then you can download malwarebytes and use that program to kill the bug. hope that helps
or go to that location of the file and delete the folder

Bogs, have you tried to start windows on safe mode, and maybe then delete that thing?

I've never used an xp64, so it might have mind of its own ???.

Neither I have never had that kind of problem on w2k/xp-32, which I've used and abused quite a lot.

Without knowing, what kind of programs/services you have, that start automatically with windows, I still suggest you to test safe mode - without networking. And if no help, -- safe mode with all other external devices removed, except mouse, keyboard and display.

Some anti-virus programs may cause an unexpected windows behaviour also.

Formatting and fresh install is rather extreme way, because after that you'll need to re-configure all the programs and settings, that you are used to.

Try running chkdsk from a command prompt. The file is probably empty and windows has miss filed it in the index.

John, my I suggest performing an "empty trash" and then doing a complete shutdown sequence and than a power up and rebooting of the system. I have had files act similarly, although I do not run the Big Blue machines, and the only way I have come to a fix is following this procedure. I can not positively say that this will work for you but it is worth a try.

BC1
Jim

Many thanks for all the replies.

I have done absolutely everything except what Mike suggested (I tried, but failed miserably), mainly because I have forgotten how to use DOS, and I just can't get the syntax correct to try it out.

That is the problem with DOS, one missing full stop, and you start to chase your own tail. So unless someone can type out an idiots guide for me to get the information into the DOS prompt, it looks like I have a dollop of Windows crap permanently adorning my screen.

Not to worry, I will put it in the corner of the screen, and put a black sticky patch over it, out of sight, out of mind.

Many thanks again for your courageous efforts gents,

Bogs

Hi John

Not intended as an idiot's guide - but you can try the following:

First make sure the file is not "in use" - i.e. you mustn't have its properties dialog open or anything.
Click "Start", then "Run"
In the dialog box that pops up, type "cmd" (without the quotes) and press enter.
The dos box should pop up, and the prompt should show your current directory.
You should be in your "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator" directory by default when the dos box starts.
Type in "cd desktop" and press enter to change to your desktop directory
Type in "dir *workbench*" - the wildcards are to cover the possibility of invalid characters in the file name.
If you are lucky, only this one file should show up in the listing - it might have a slightly different name though.
If only one file shows up, type in "del *workbench*" - that should delete it.

Kind regards, Arnold

Latest posts

Back