Help Me!! Math

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just move the decimal place to the left two places, or if it was E-4, then four places.

It would be 0.0195....etc.

Hmmm.... I'd call it 2 thou and be done with it!

Okay what is the meaning of this? This makes no sense to me, it seems to be about measurement but what is the E thrown in for. Is it to do with tolerance and fit? Do I need to know about this?
???
Brock

It's a number to a certain power of ten

1.950938826E-2 = 1.950938826 X 10^-2

Ex.
12 x 10 = 120
12 x 10^3 = 12000
12 x 10^-5 = 0.00012

The "E" means it's scientific notification, which is a way of expressing very large/very small numbers without huge amounts of trailing or leading zeros.

In the example given, IMHO probably a bit of a waste of time. i.e. to write 1.950938826E-2, (14), is actually more effort than to write 0.01950938826, (13).

Hope this helps

Best Regards
Bob

I think Tel has hit the nail on the head. How do you measure with that accuracy reliably?
Better yet how do you machine to that accuracy?

Brock

Bob is right - I'm a numeric cripple!

tel said:
Oh, you want to be that accurate! ;D

I see your using your boilermakers micrometer again.............otherwise known as a G clamp. ;)

Dave,

Well it's around 20 thousandths or 2 hundredths of something or maybe even around 2% of something. ;D

AssassinXCV said:
It's a number to a certain power of ten

1.950938826E-2 = 1.950938826 X 10^-2

Important to note that the "E" is a capitol letter and this implies power of ten.
One shouldn't get sloppy and write

1.950938826 e-2

as that has a whole different mathematical meaning.

Hay has any one got any pix for this thread? ::)

:big:

Bez

I've only just read through this post and my head hurts ... :big:

Vic.

Omnimill said:
I've only just read through this post and my head hurts ... :big:

Vic.

Me too! Now I'm not sure if this is a math problem or a communication problem...

Chuck

Latest posts

Back