Help ID-ing material

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearcar1

Reaction score
Hello all and I understand all of the groans of "not again" that are being uttered at this moment and I have to agree. However, I have traveled the internet highway for the past several hours searching for my answers and all that I managed to do in that length of time was to lose my sanity somewhere along the way. I understand about using bronze as the preferred metal for boiler fittings. And it seems that the talked about alloy of choice is Phosphor Bronze, AKA: bearing bronze, SAE660 and a slew of other numbers that got lost in translation. (probably hiding next to my mind in cyberspace) ANYway, I have this length of bar that I am pretty certain is a bearing bronze of some type although I do not see the usual 'tiger stripes' to indicate it as being a leaded alloy. (the smaller bar at the top in these photos is common 360 free cutting brass as a color comparison, the long piece is the parent rod and the center one is from same only it has been cleaned up) Is there any test or way to determine the suitability of this mystery metal for boiler fittings? What color are the Aluminum Bronze alloys that I keep reading about and Naval Brass etc. HELP! Please. I would like to use this piece if it is believed to be acceptable, otherwise, I will be forced to (gulp!) purchase a piece for my boiler fittings. I apologize to all of the 'groaners' and promise that I will be good the rest of the year if I can get this mystery solved. ;D

BC1
Jim

DSCN2977.JPG

DSCN2978.JPG

The middle really doesn't look like a bronze alloy to me at all - did you run a quick spark test to see if it's got any iron in it? With the base component and density (assuming that you have a halfway decent scale) you can make a pretty good guess.

If there's a good recycling scrapyard around they might have an XRF analyzer gun - take the cleaned stock and half a dozen doughnuts and they might shoot it for you, if it's not usable they might have some 660 laying around.

Oh, yes Greg, I had not run across that in my searches, thanks. The only real history of the piece in question that I know for certain is that the age of the piece dates back to the mid 40's to early 50's. More than likely I am going to wind up not using this piece for my application.

Also, thanks RK, for your input about doing a spark test. Unfortunately, there are no scrapers in the area that I know of that could perform an analysis scan. :(

BC1
Jim

bearcar1 said:
Also, thanks RK, for your input about doing a spark test. Unfortunately, there are no scrapers in the area that I know of that could perform an analysis scan.

"Spark test" = "run it against a grinding wheel and see what sparks you get". That + "is it magnetic" + color + density will usually get pretty close to an alloy ID.

I am aware of what the spark test is and how it is done, I just did not think to perform it. The mystery material was non-magnetic which I failed to comment on in the original post. The spark test revealed that which I was pretty certain of to begin with, there is no iron content. AFA trying to compare the color of the metal to the charts, that is leading me more to believe it is a brass alloy after all, and I am looking further into locating a scraper close by that can/will perform the quickscan test. What a PIA this has turned out to be. In looking at the prices for 660 alloy, I think I just may hold off on this for a while. $75 USD for a 13" bar...... REALLY!!!!!!!

BC1
Jim

Latest posts

Back