help for a newby please

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterw51

peterw51
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum, I am 65years old and live in the UK, have done some milling in the past but now I have just bought a lathe, so I am learning how to use it. My lathe is a Prazimat DZL 180 x 450, but I have a problem, when I tried to set it up to screw cut I found the chart that should be stuck inside the gear box cover has come off. So now I dont know what the setups are. I have never done any screw cutting in my life, so its about time i learnt!
If any one has a prazimat DZL would you help me please,

Peter:wall:

Welcome to HMEM Peter.
I can't help directlly, but if all else failsl Tony has reproductions of the maintenance and operation manual for this lathe. It probably has the information in it.

If you go this way, make sure that the book has the information in it that you want and that it is in English.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/hobbymat/page3.html

MP680 PRAZIMAT DLZ 180 x 450 Lathe. Instruction and Maintenance Manual and Parts as Exploded Component Drawings and a Wiring Diagram. £35

Gail in NM

Hi Gail, thank you for the quick response, I did purchase this handbook, in fact it is in front of me now, it does mention the missing chart, but not its content.
Lathes.co.uk is based in Buxton only about twenty miles from me, he seems a nice chap. but I need this info to be able to set the gears up for screwcutting,

Many thanks
Peter

I was hoping some of our American machinist may be able to help me as most of the Prazimat DZL's were sold in the US. I have been browsing the forum and some of the engines being made in workshops in amazing, & some of the lathes look like they are just for show so hats off to all the work & skill of the members

Hi again Rob I dont seem to be able to post new thread, cannot see the post new thread tag??

Peter

Hi Peter
Go up a level to 'Questions and answers' and you will see a small blue dialogue box at the top and bottom of the page 'new thread'
kind regards
Peter(not far from you in Sheffield)

Hi PETER , only you need is to know, is the MASTER SCREW , as we call her or BOSS SCREW , TORNILLO PATRON, pitch , sure it is 4 or 6 thread per inch. If it was a METRIC lathe it would have a 4 mm or 6 mm pitch
Then a list with all the gears on your array .
And some math , and go on.
Feel free to post such items , and the desired pitch you want to screw.

thank you for the info peatrich!

Hi Devitg I think the lead screw is a 2mm pitch, & are you wanting to know the size of the gears I have, I wanted to start with a m6 x 1 for a start

Peter

Peter if you type "Hello from Italy!" into the search you'll find a thread from Romartin who has had one of these lathes since 1986, may be worth contacting him for the info you need,Cyril

Peter , hi.
You shall to be sure about the pitcht , please measure it , you can turn , by hand , form the gear box , engage the tool holder , and take reference to a fixed place , make 10 turns an measure again, it shall be 20 mm for a 2mm pitch.You have to put the lever in coarse , one triangle . So it will run 1:1 from the gear box end.

And yes, I need to know what are the gears thoot , in you array .

Change extension ZIP to TXT

handle in coarse.GIF

turn from here.GIF

View attachment !!!send to.zip

Hi Devitg, I did 10 turns & it was 30mm, I have drawn the gear array, & here is the gears I have,
25-35-40- 50-50-55-60-65-70-75-80-100-124. The photo shows the quadrant, this shows that it has two spindles at 80mm ctrs these are not adjustable! I hope I have given enough information, & thank you for taking the time to assist me,

Peter

IMG_3893.jpg

IMG_3888.jpg

So it seem to be it is a 3 mm step leadscrew.
Is it a square thread profile ?
I preffer to call STEP in metrics , and PITCH for imperial

Please pick out the gears , and send me a photo take as the gear scheme drawn .

Did you use any CAD software?

As I can see there is what we call a GUITAR behind the 128 tooth .It can rotate , and allow the middle axis to slide

Latest posts

Back