Hello to the forum

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tater

Reaction score
Just wanted to say hello to everyone. I'm new to the art and science of model engineering. I was introduced to this world as kid 30 years ago by my Uncle David in England who had built quite a few live steam models including stationary and locomotives.

Now that I have two (step) sons aged 6 and 8, and room in the basement for a workshop, I've decided to teach myself and introduce the lads to this awesome world - before video games and girls capture their attention forever... ;D

Thomas Jacobs
East Village, New York City

I should add that I have put together a beginners shop with the usual suspects:

X2 mini mill
7x10 mini lathe
dewalt grinder
grizzly band saw
loads of inexpensive tooling and inspection equipment

All of this gear is low-cost, most I picked up second hand, and almost all of it, I know I'll eventually trade in for better gear. However, I'm really impressed with how much function one can get for a pretty small initial investment.

Uncle David had a beautiful Myford Super7 so my sights are set pretty high - eventually. ;)

Tater,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Here is a perfect project for the kids a turbine engine any ten year old can build.
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=384.0 and yes they will run on breath power so yo do not need to carry a compressor.
I can probably get a drawing together if you need one. On my to do list. I have sketched it out couple times but never happy with the results.
Tin

Thank you for the kind welcomes from everyone, Bob, Tin, Rick, Dale...

I originally found this forum searching for folks who had built the Elderberry Launch Engine Kit, and read every post on the Zeeprogrammer thread - all 29 pages.

What I learned is that it takes a lot of patience, a lot of purchasing of tools, and a lot of trial and error to learn the skills to end with a running and handsome result.

I like the project Tin posted (thanks!) as it's something I'm confident I could complete for the kids before their attention span, (I now have a micrometer to measure it ;-) ) fades out...
Thanks!

Welcome to the forum Tater.... My love of steam and IC engines came from my Dad and now I am passing it on to my Gkids... Any time you spend at a Steam show or a expo doesn't add time to you life and if you bring your kids it actually subtracts from it... At least that is what I've been told.

Holler if we can help ya.

Harold

Latest posts

Back