Hello from Germany

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred

Reaction score
Hi,

when I briefly introduced myself in my first post, I had not discovered this "hello" section. I live in Germany, about 1 1/2 hrs from Berlin, and have been building small Stirling and steam engines (most of them running on compressed air) since 2004. As I had no previous metalworking experience, my initial learning curve was pretty steep. i.e. I made a lot of mistakes. My workshop includes a Proxxon PD230 lathe and the smallest Proxxon mill (PF230). My latest project is/was a modified version of Prof. Senft's "thimble power plant" (pics to follow), which will eventually power a 1/87 (approx.) model of a steam donkey.

I very much enjoy this group.

Warm regards from Germany,

Fred

Hi Fred
Welcome on hour forum...I'm waiting for your pics...!!
Best regards wEc1 th_wwp
Paolo

Welcome Fred!

It is a nice group isn't it......

Dave

Fred

Welcome to HMEM. We are glad to have you here and you can ask any questions you like. Always someone around with an answer or at least an opinion. We hope you enjoy your stay and look forward to seeing your projects as you post them.

Cheers :)

Don

Fred:
Welcome.
My latest project is/was a modified version of Prof. Senft's "thimble power plant" (pics to follow), which will eventually power a 1/87 (approx.) model of a steam donkey.
I have built the much lager cousin mini-kin. I have seen several builds of the thimblkin engines and plant . but I have never seen one power something we want pictures.
Tin

Welcome to the forum Fred!!!

Hope you enjoy your stay with us here!!

And yes, WE WANT PICS!!!

Hello everyone and thanks for the warm welcome.
So you are asking for pictures.... well, here you are:
micro_osc_01_ann_600x.jpg

(Administrators -- please let me know if this picture [600x403 pixels] is considered too large for this forum.)
I used Prof. Senft's plans only as a rough outline for my own version and did not follow his suggestion to drill the steam ports (diameter 0.35 mm) with a drill guide.
This humongous power plant runs well on compressed air at >=0.5 bar (measured) at maybe 10000 rpm (estimated). It also runs on steam, provided the steam is dry. The theoretical power output is approximately 20 mW.

Best regards,

Fred

Welcome Fred,
Nice little little little engine. Do you have a microscope on your lathe? :big:
Tony

cobra428 said:
...Do you have a microscope on your lathe? ...
Hi Tony,

neither on my lathe nor on my mill, but I did take the above picture by simply holding my digicam close to one of the oculars of my stereo microscope (10x mag, wide field, incident illumination system). The picture was subsequently cropped to get rid of the black circle surrounding the 1-cent coin.

All the best,

Fred

Welcome,Fred.What an amazing piece of work.
I have trouble seeing my own shoes ;D,so this would be a bit beyond me.
Regards.Hans.

Fred

What can I say? WOW. I had to go back and have a second look after I realized how small it was. Just be careful not to drop it in the shop or you will never find it in the swarf. Incredible. :bow: :bow: :bow: th_wav

Cheers :)

Don

Fred said:
(Administrators -- please let me know if this picture [600x403 pixels] is considered too large for this forum.)

Fred,
That size picture is just fine, thanks.

Great little engine 8) .......... welcome to HMEM

CC

Welcome Fred, and WOWWW!
Now that is a small engine!
Regards, Arnold

Fred,

Welcome to our forum.
icon_welcome.gif

Best Regards
Bob