Hello from East Anglia

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTin

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am new(ish) to the forum because I am very keen to build an IC engine. It's been a wish for decades, but I have never had the equipment. It may well be that I still don't.

The reason I have the equipment I do have is that I am a professional modelmaker as I have been for many years (since I was 18). So my Peatol (Taig) lathe is perfect for the tiny stuff I need to do.
I don't have a milling machine as I have never got anywhere with them, from small Chinese pile of junk to a big old Tom Senior at school. It never goes back the same height it went!

Currently in a sort of semi-retirement and making patterns for model railway kits and slot racing body kits mainly.

Passions are for old model boats, Specialbuilding (I have an Austin 7 Cambridge and a Burlington Baretta), Canals, architecture and the grandchildren.

What I really want to do is make a Westbury Sealion, because it looks like a Coventry Climax, my favourite ngine, one of which is going in my Austin 7 Special, as, being tight, I won't pay bank manager money for a dustman engine like the wheezing little side valve in a 7. My Coventry Climax FWMs (2 of em) cost me £85 and push out 38 bhp, bog standard. No 7 engine could dream of that.

Couple of pics of previous models made for customers.
1901129_10152308274947228_1798243574_n_zps72c7ad21.jpg

albatross2_zps934bb278.jpg

Martin

What part of East Anglia, Martin? My wife is from Isleham, Cambs. I was stationed at RAF Lakenheath at the end of my USAF career and brought her home with me.
I am sure we have a member from Peterborough on this forum.
Welcome to the group!
Chuck

Well, well, Chuck! I am maybe 20 minutes from Isleham. I know it quite well. I live near Wisbech in the back of beyond. I once bought a 40 foot paddle steamer from Isleham boatyard.
Used to go to the Mildenhall model club, up the road from Lakenheath. Too many plastic kits for me, but the beer in the local was good (Wexford's).

Peterborough is about 28 miles from us.

Cheers,
Martin

I grew up in Ipswich. I would live to go back and visit that is a beautiful part of the country!!

Suffolk certainly is beautiful. But round here is more just remote than beautiful, but we do get the biggest skies in England as it's so flat we have a vast horizon.
Nobody comes here unless they need to. Go a bit too far and you fall off:)

Currently parts of it are flooded as we are getting day long rain in the East.
And yesterday I laid a 16 x 10 floor for my new workshop! I believe that's Sod's Law at work.

Martin

Back