Hello from another new 'un

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoffkingma

Reaction score
Been perusing this forum for a couple of weeks and decided I should join. The skill set and knowledge exhibited here is absolutely amazing. And, not the least, the willingness to help newbies is most refreshing.

About to build an oil field engine that I want to modify into a "half-breed" gas operated unit. I'm sure I will have lots of questions when I get to the conversion items.

Geoff

welcome!

is that a model shaper in your avatar? would love to see that.

Welcome Geoff and good luck with your project. Lots of great help on this forum

Thanks for the welcome. I can tell from reading some of the posts that this group is up there with the best.

Yes, my avatar at the moment is a shaper that I just finished. It is the PMR casting set but, since I have a real one in the shop, I found it to be a real help as I built the model.

The motor/countershaft setup is similar to that of my Ammco shaper and is also similar to this one which I think is the one that PMR used as a basis for their model

I used a geared motor (6v) and made a housing to try and replicate the old time motors

The vise was a freelance design and I used 12L14. And, no, I didn't make an Acme thread!

Geoff

Welcome Geoff

That is a very nice looking shaper setup you have made there; I especially like the electric flat belt drive assy.

Dave

Welcome Geoff, that pigeonhole setup in your workshop is really impessive.

Jim

Welcome Geoff, I love both those shapers mate! Very nice.

cheers, Ian

Aussiejim,

That photo of the red shaper is not my workshop. I was a bit ambiguous in my comment. It was from an ad in a local buy and sell and I copied it to show the original machine that may have been used for the model's design.

My workshop is in a 12' x 14' room with a large (for me, that is) lathe in the garage.

Geoff

"Welcome Geoff

That is a very nice looking shaper setup you have made there; I especially like the electric flat belt drive assy.

Dave "
----------------------------

Thanks Dave.
I was trying to replicate the layout of the 1941 Ammco 6" shaper that I have. It was brought to market in the mid 1930's and had a flat belt from the countershaft to the shaper. Not sure about the motor to C/S link.

Mine had been upgraded to a V-belt drive when I bought it. The Ammco 7", brought to market in about 1942, had a V-belt drive with a much more compact motor and C/S system nestled in behind the machine.

The other factor was that Ontario had a 25 cycle supply up to the early 1950's so it was possible to have a honking big motor (say 6 pole) running very slowly. This would have been close to the original line shaft speed.

Geoff

Welcome here. You build a really nice machine......Do you use it?? Or is it just for "vitrine".
Can you make a movie when it works??

Maybe a brushless motor will be a good idea. They have a lot of torque & you can drive the controller with & servo tester.

Regards

Barry

Thanks for the welcome.

The motor is too wimpy for the shaper to cut metal but I have not tried it on the smallest stroke and lowest speed yet. To keep the motor in some resemblance of scale I used a 25mm diam. geared motor that has an output of about 300rpm at 6v. The model is 1/12 scale so this motor housing would scale up to be about 14" in diameter.

I am running it at 12v. The "substation" in the back corner houses a dc input with variable speed dc output which I built from a kit.

Geoff

Latest posts

Back