Hello Everyone -Newbie Here

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pilott

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm Paul - originally from England, 20 years in South Africa and the past 10 years near Nashville Tennessee, USA

I've been lurking on the forum for a few months. Thanks for all the wonderful information.

I've turned wood for several years, but never machined metal - pretty disgusting considering I'm a metallurgist by profession!

I persuaded Santa to bring me a 7x12 lathe for Xmas, and here's my first attempt - a NAMES-style finger engine.

The flywheel rim is the inner race from a bearing, and I machined the web from brass. I chilled the web, and heated the rim in the oven, and was ridiculously proud when the web dropped in easily, then locked in tightly when the rim cooled. Old hat, I'm sure for all you experienced folks, but a little bit of magic for me!

The next project will be a version of an Elmers Wooden Beam Engine, once I work out the details of some valve mods......

DSCF2282.JPG

Paul,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Welcome Paul. Nice little engine.

Regards,
Rudy

Welcome Paul!!

There are a few South Africans around here!
I am a bit different to you!
21 years in SA, 6 years in Dubai and the past 7 in Canada!

Engine looks great!

Andrew

Hi Paul

Nice finger engine - What timber is the plinth made of?

Bez

Hi pilott.
wEc1 to the HMEM forum. your next project th_wwp please.

Welcome Paul, nicely done on the finger engine. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Regards,
Bill

Thanks to eveyone for your good wishes
Bezalel, the wood is a piece of figured maple

Latest posts

Back