Hand tapper

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not to hijack Majorstrain's topic, I thought I would post a pic of my parting off tools. Yes, tools, I now reluctantly have 2 of them. I use a 4 tool turret, being too careful with my money to lash out on a QCTP system.

parting1.jpg

The first (shown on the right) is one I made soon after I got my lathe. Later, I installed a rear toolpost and was most disappointed (read: lots of workshop Esperanto) to discover that the parting off toolholder could not put the blade on centre height regardless of blade and toolholder orientation. Sooo, another chunk of steel and the one on the left was made to fit the rear toolpost.

They are just blocks of steel with a ledge the same width as the blade and an extension to fit the toolslot on the turret. The ledge has a shallow angle (easier to see on the right hand holder) to help keep the blade against the block. It is just possible to see that the bottom and top edges of the blade are rounded. The top clamp has a similar shallow angle and is tightened down on the blade so that a few thou clearance remains between the block and clamp.

As with all my home made tools, I oil blacken them to keep the rust devil at bay.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Back