Hand cramping and arthritis

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those that don't know, but need to know....
Gout is simple. Too much protein = gout formation in the blood. Too little protein, and you don't stay healthy, grow, heal, fight deseases, etc.
What is a good balance? The amount (percentage) of diet we had when we grew-up from babies too late teens.
Statisticians monitored protein intake and determined that generations more prone to gout grew up with limited protein, then later in life ate more than their bodies could digest and expell. E.g. many working class kids from eras with poor diets, like post WW2 rationing, or the 1930 depression, or 1950s UK food availability and family wealth. When these kids grew up and changed to better (more protein) diets in the 1960s or whenever, (like now!) they developed gout from middle age in 10 times more population than "the norm". Same with the Victorian wealth boom in the middle classes whos' childhood were based on poorer (less protein) diets.
So moderation is good, variety is good, and gout sufferers learn how excess hurts. The "hurt" is the gout damaging joints, causing swelling, and creating athritus...
Not the only cause of arthritus, just 1 of many....
K2

I last had gout 30 years ago, in Romania, where my diet was mostly pork and rakiya, there being little else then. It cleared up when I returned to England and a more balanced diet !

I think rye is gluten ? Check me on that.

I cannot eat rye or oats either.

Some of it relates to the fact that some humans are alergic to a wide variety of grains (me) regardless of whether they contain gluten or not.

Many plants/grains have a naturally built-in poisoning effect to discourage animals from eating the seeds/grain.
Humans only recently started eating a lot of grain.

Regarding grains, phytic acid is the problem. I no longer eat shop bought bread or anything containing flour.
I make my own bread from a mixture of wheat/rye/spelt and barley, the grains are soaked overnight and then sprouted, when the little tails are just showing i put it through an auger juicer, this gives a very course pulped grain mix, i add salt and 300ml water and work the mix into a sort of dough, cover the bowl with cling film and leave it for a couple of days to ferment then cook @ 260F for 4 hours.
Also i make a stir fry dressing with garlic/ginger and turmeric(have this every day) my main problem is thumb arthritis but @74yrs can't really complain.

Regarding grains, phytic acid is the problem. I no longer eat shop bought bread or anything containing flour.
I make my own bread from a mixture of wheat/rye/spelt and barley, the grains are soaked overnight and then sprouted, when the little tails are just showing i put it through an auger juicer, this gives a very course pulped grain mix, i add salt and 300ml water and work the mix into a sort of dough, cover the bowl with cling film and leave it for a couple of days to ferment then cook @ 260F for 4 hours.
Also i make a stir fry dressing with garlic/ginger and turmeric(have this every day) my main problem is thumb arthritis but @74yrs can't really complain.
Got this off the internet:

Spelt is a type of wheat that is related to barley, rye, and einkorn. It has a nutty flavor and is high in protein, fiber, and antioxidants. It may also have some health benefits for heart, gut, and diabetes health, but it is not suitable for people with celiac disease or gluten sensitivity.

Thank yew for that. Yes, it is NOT corporate wheat. I'm thimkfking that an electric grinder should be in every home that makes bread, noodles, pasta. I have a very good hand grinder made in Columbia (of all places?!) that I have had for more than 40 years. Mostly I usse it for coffee but my son finds some strange uses for it. Problem is that it takes a lot of human effort to grind even a weeks worth of coffee which is not ground like flour but coarse.

Look at the price on this:

https://www.wayfair.com/kitchen-tab...ain-grinder-mill-powder-machine-jadg1240.html
It is 3000 watts. There is something wrong here and I don't know what, but the amps is up to 63. The claim is it is "industrial". Obviously made in China and something is not being said. However, if I had a 50 watt breaker for this, I would ber very tempted to buy one.

I found this:

Common cereal grains that make a fine-textured flour include:

• Barley
  • Kamut
  • Rye
  • Spelt
  • Wheat
Plus, there are gluten-free choices as well, such as the following:

• Amaranth
  • Buckwheat
  • Corn
  • Oats
  • Quinoa
  • Rice
  • Sorghum

Got this off the internet:

Spelt is a type of wheat that is related to barley, rye, and einkorn. It has a nutty flavor and is high in protein, fiber, and antioxidants. It may also have some health benefits for heart, gut, and diabetes health, but it is not suitable for people with celiac disease or gluten sensitivity.

Thank yew for that. Yes, it is NOT corporate wheat. I'm thimkfking that an electric grinder should be in every home that makes bread, noodles, pasta. I have a very good hand grinder made in Columbia (of all places?!) that I have had for more than 40 years. Mostly I usse it for coffee but my son finds some strange uses for it. Problem is that it takes a lot of human effort to grind even a weeks worth of coffee which is not ground like flour but coarse.

Look at the price on this:

https://www.wayfair.com/kitchen-tab...ain-grinder-mill-powder-machine-jadg1240.html
It is 3000 watts. There is something wrong here and I don't know what, but the amps is up to 63. The claim is it is "industrial". Obviously made in China and something is not being said. However, if I had a 50 watt breaker for this, I would ber very tempted to buy one.

I found this:

Common cereal grains that make a fine-textured flour include:

• Barley
  • Kamut
  • Rye
  • Spelt
  • Wheat
Plus, there are gluten-free choices as well, such as the following:

• Amaranth
  • Buckwheat
  • Corn
  • Oats
  • Quinoa
  • Rice
  • Sorghum
We discovered that my wife is sensitive (allergic?) to corn and that took years to figure out. If you think that dairy is in a lot of products, check labels for anything corn based. Lots of times " food starch " is corn starch but isn't clearly identified. And then corn syrup is in almost everything it seems. Even lots of medications, prescription and over the counter, have corn starch as a filler or binder. We grow as much food as we can and grind our own flour.

We are fortunate to have a local bakery that grinds their own flour. They grind wheat, barley and spelt, all sourced from organic farms in the area and sell bags of flour for home bakers. Wonderful flour for baking. With all the natural yeast floating around the bakery the flour makes great sourdough. They also make the best cinnamon buns in the country, to which I am hopelessly addicted.

Perhaps we should design a home flour mill , something like a hammer mill would be fairly easy but a motorised mortar and pestle would require more machining capacity than I possess . Just pipe dreaming , I doubt that changing my diet after all those years would do much but I am trying the magnesium.
Dan.

Perhaps we should design a home flour mill , something like a hammer mill would be fairly easy but a motorised mortar and pestle would require more machining capacity than I possess . Just pipe dreaming , I doubt that changing my diet after all those years would do much but I am trying the magnesium.
Dan.
How does a hammer mill work? like it sounds? Don't be too sure about changing your diet. you might find that Foods from your non-traditional types might be something you would like. For instance, I like Thai foods but not Viet foods. I like SOME Korean but not others. It is well known that when animals are lacking some vitamen or mineral, that they chew on everything around, thuys dogs chew your wires aznd books, kats eat veggies, humans eat junk. If you have foreign foods that you like, you might try moving over to them a bitg more, however, I suggest keeping out the msg.

I am 70 and have had arthritis since age 21-ish. The only thing that helped ease the pain, and got me walking, was pure lavender oil. Dilute a few drops into a carrier oil, bath oil is ok, way oil?, probably not, and rub it on the affected joints. I also ran a very hot bath with just 4 or 5 drops of lavender oil added and a thick layer of bubble bath to keep the heat in. It eases the symptoms and makes you smell nice! I don't need anything since I retired as most of my joint damage was caused by working in the building trade. I am also taking note of the dietery suggestions offered here.
I have also been a type 2 diabetic for about 15 years. 10 years ago I dieted and lost 6 stones in weight. My type 2 also disappeared along with the weight. I have the type 2 again because I put 2 stones back on. Losing it the second time round is a bit harder.

Hi Richard, re "if I had a 50 watt breaker "... I hate to correct you, but a 50W breaker will not stay closed on a 3000W motor...

And "63 AMPS" is a Surge current on start-up, when the AC mains hits the stationary motor which is a huge electromagnet. Surge current is the one that opens the breaker - Not to be confused with RMS running current. You need to have a breaker with a capacity over that, but just the next size up. NOT Hugely over=rated. Surge current is created by the first Peak of the sine wave, which isn't 110V, that is the RMS value. It is 190V or whatever... and acting purely against the motor resistance (as measured using a low DC voltage) - which will be very small. Then as soon as the magnetic field of the motor starts fighting back, it creates the BACK EMF, and using the INDUCTANCE + resistance, that knocks the current back to 27 A RMS .... or whatever, to get a 3000W rating..
(Needs a teacher to explain better than I can).
Cheers,
K2

We are fortunate to have a local bakery that grinds their own flour. They grind wheat, barley and spelt, all sourced from organic farms in the area and sell bags of flour for home bakers. Wonderful flour for baking. With all the natural yeast floating around the bakery the flour makes great sourdough. They also make the best cinnamon buns in the country, to which I am hopelessly addicted.
Would you please share the location of this bakery? I live near To and have tried to develop some skill at baking/dough making without much success. There are times I need to use my bandsaw and mill on things like flatbreads!

Richard,
My first job after leaving school was with the National Coal Board , this was the government body that ran the British coal industry in the days when we had one. I was a laboratory technician helping or hoping to keep the 13 mines of the Warwickshire coalfield running safely and efficiently.
We looked after several aspects of colliery management including daily ventilation monitoring and the quality of bought in supplies such as lubrication products and boiler treatment , but also the quality of the coal being sold.
We sampled coal from all of our pits on a regular basis and the samples were tested for calorific value and ash content.
Cutting to the chase, samples of coal and stone were ground to a flour like consistency in a small hammer mill which as I recall were made by a company named Raymond.
These mills were about the size of a small weed whacker engine and basically had a disc , perhaps 100mm diameter ,with hammers hinged around the periphery.
An electric motor spun the disc at high speed inside a housing, which had a grid of perforated steel , the holes would be about 1.5mm or less.
The hammers had minimum clearance on the grid and a sample tipped into the top would fall into the hammer chamber and be swept through the grid to be collected below.
This is a basic description and I am sure a web search would provide better information.
Dan.

Just found a photo
img

Latest posts

Back