Grizzly $25 DRO Query

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if a person could buy one or more uncut lengths of scale material directly from the factory. I bet we could get a group buy together and purchase a few full sticks then cut them to our own specs. I know a few machinists who could do the cutting... :big:

Manufacturing is most likely in China. I had asked the distributor about this and he had to ask the factory. They were not interested in sending the parts separately.

Looks like one way to do it is to buy the 32" scale with a display unit from Eagle America and cut it down to use with one from a 6" purchased at Grizzly. So two 16" would be $25 + $70 = $95. Then / 2 = $47.50 each. The 32" is only $20 more than the 6". Not much point in ordering anything shorter.

Still cheaper than any other solution. I foresee an order for a 32" in my future.

black85vette said:
Manufacturing is most likely in China. I had asked the distributor about this and he had to ask the factory. They were not interested in sending the parts separately.

Looks like one way to do it is to buy the 32" scale with a display unit from Eagle America and cut it down to use with one from a 6" purchased at Grizzly. So two 16" would be $25 + $70 = $95. Then / 2 = $47.50 each. The 32" is only $20 more than the 6". Not much point in ordering anything shorter.

Still cheaper than any other solution. I foresee an order for a 32" in my future.

Well, that WOULD provide a third display and read head for use on the Z axis. In for a penny in for a pound I guess. Looks like I will have to order a 32" as well.

websterz said:
Hey blackvette...did igaging ask you about using your pictures for their advertising and product documentations? Looky here:

Nope, they did not ask! It absolutely is mine. My column mods are pretty unique. Hmmmmm, now I am thinking a FREE 32" unit. :big:

Damn... Grizzly wants a minimum order of $200, plus a $10 handling charge plus a packing fee and postal charges to get it to to Aus...... I think I might sulk a little..... :mad:

black85vette said:
I really like the looks of the mount on the back of the table. Does it restrict the Y axis movement to the rear?

I installed the Y axis DRO tonight, didn't take much effort. It looks just like yours B85v so I didn't bother to take a pic.

I did check the Y travel to see exactly how much the rear-mounted sensor limited it and it is around .75" less now. More than I first thought but hey, for 25 bucks I'm not complaining. If I need the extra travel some day I'll remove the DRO temporarily.

black85vette said:
Nope, they did not ask! It absolutely is mine. My column mods are pretty unique. Hmmmmm, now I am thinking a FREE 32" unit. :big:

I'm thinking maybe you can get free 32" for all of us!

-Trout

Thanks B85V they certainly are much more user friendly. Placing an order as soon as I get home to measure which unit fits best. Top job! :bow:

Chers

Rob T

Thought I would throw in a shot of the readouts. They come with magnets on the back and fit onto the mill head pretty nicely.

Now it's back to some engine stuff for awhile...maybe a little easier this time around.

-Trout

DSC05092.jpg

Okay okay! I'm convinced!

I shall let my thread on building my own DRO quietly die and investigate these systems.

Besides, I can't bring myself to work on programming and electronics at home.
I'm doing enough of that at work and it's the last thing I want to do at home.

I'm surprised I can even stand the keyboard! I'm at it all day long. :big:

Ah but Phillips...you never seem to let go...

Let it goooooo........
Let it goooooo........

theres an echo in there Zee... thats disturbing... no voices? (yet)...... ;D :big: ;D

I exchanged a couple of emails with Grizzly and it does not appear that they are interested in selling longer scales at this time. Seems odd to me. It would make sense to sell the 12" which would fit a lot more machines and could be cut down to any size you want. Oh well. Got one of the 32" on order from their competition.

see update

So i have to ask....whats in the little black box that slides on the scales? Must be some type of encoder, so i ask whats the feasiblility of fabricating a smaller box for the scale and remoting the rest? That way, a smaller scale would have more travel, i think...

UPDATE:
Just got an email from iGaging the distributor of the scales and they say Grizzly WILL be carrying the longer versions in 2-3 weeks. For those of you who want to wait, you might get a much better price from Grizzly.

Diy89 don't think there is much chance of modifying the unit. I have been inside it several times. Here is what the encoder looks like;

For you Aussies: My contact at iGaging says he will sell direct to you because he has no retailers down there. He CANNOT sell direct in the US because he cannot compete with his retailers already selling the product. I don't want to put his contact information out publicly. If you want his email just send me a PM and I will send it to you.

IMG_1993.jpg

IMG_1994.jpg

Hmm....bummer....
Thanks for the picture, nice to see the guts of it.

I wonder if this display can be wired into the cheap chinese scales I already have? From the looks of it there is power, ground, data, and clock signal(ssy). I Emailed Igageing and they can send me the display only for $17.50 shipped. I think I will order one and See if I can get it to work.

If anyone is interested in the part# here it is They take paypal only and you can only order parts direct from Igaging.com
Item # 0008
35-706/12/24/32 digital display unit

HYTECH said:
I wonder if this display can be wired into the cheap chinese scales I already have? From the looks of it there is power, ground, data, and clock signal(ssy).

There was another thread about these scales some time back and the same question came up. So I opened up both types of scales and had a look at the signals on my O-scope and found that they are not the same format at all.

Latest posts

Back