Grinding HSS tools

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Gus think of it this way, moving to Aussie would be good for you, good fishing, very mild winters and you wouldn't freeze your nuts and bolts off when in your shop during winter. No snow to worry about or rusty tools. We're happy to have you here Gus. ;)

Hi Gus, don't try to hold your breath while trying to make money from trading, tried day trading for a while, it's hard work and very risky. I have a garage about 2 1/2 car size, workshop takes up about 1 1/2 car spaces, junk takes up the rest. Maybe we should get together when you visit your daughter next time, I don't live far away.

Paul.

Tinker: hope these threads and the comments have helped you. that grinder should do well for finish grinding and touch up sharpening .

Stan Will be interesting the results of your tormek testing.

All I started a new thread entitled 10" wet grinder as a place to post the review of my new Scheppach grinder. Anyone using a wet grinder can post comments their as well. Stan mentioned fine grain mode. I feel this should be explained . an available accessories for the wet grinders is a stone grader. it will clean the stone and refresh the 220 -250 grit. the flip side literally, smooths the stone breaks down the grit and causes the wet stone to act like a 1000 grit stone and make much smoother cuts. This mode change is microscopic and does not put excessive wear on the stone. From what I have read a mirror finish on a cutting edge lasts longer than one with tiny scratches.

Tin

Well Gus think of it this way, moving to Aussie would be good for you, good fishing, very mild winters and you wouldn't freeze your nuts and bolts off when in your shop during winter. No snow to worry about or rusty tools. We're happy to have you here Gus. ;)

Hi Tinkerer,

Thanks. Will be a pipe dream.Gus is going 70 in3 weeks. Got to strectch the
$$$.

Hi Gus, don't try to hold your breath while trying to make money from trading, tried day trading for a while, it's hard work and very risky. I have a garage about 2 1/2 car size, workshop takes up about 1 1/2 car spaces, junk takes up the rest. Maybe we should get together when you visit your daughter next time, I don't live far away.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

Planning a trip in December .Will see Paul and his machine shop and perhaps the toy shops for hobby machinist. See you mate!!!

Took many years to get smart. Been burnt.I go for the 5----6% dividends which better than the 3/4 % bank interest.Been a good season.Got off in time.Now is buy season.
There is literally no tax on capital appreciation. But there is a very minimal GST on the trading fees.Trading fees and GST adds up to 1/2 %.There is also no tax on some selected dividends. Take home is 99.5 %.:):):)

As a character-building experience, I ground a right hand turning tool this morning. I don't use these, I've gone completely to Warner HSS insert tooling, but thought it might be interesting.
I walked right past the bench grinder without a glance, put a 60 grit Norox Ceramic belt on the 1"x42" machine and had the bit ground in under 2 minutes. Switched to a fine (A45 or A36) grit Trizact belt. These numbers bear no resemblance to grit sizes. IIRC, they are 400 and 220 equivalents or the other way around.
Mirror surfaces in under a minute. Moved the bit over to the Tormak honing wheel with honing compound and had a razor sharp bit.
Made some test cuts in 6061 and it looks as good as my Warner HSS.
Experiment over. The belt sander was better than the bench grinder ever was, but without wheel dressing, constantly changing diameters, etc.
Looking thru some ancient posts, I came across a link that Tin had posted about the South Bend Toolbit Grinding Jig. Looks like a useful holder for grinding. Someone makes a knockoff for about $90.00. All along, there was something familiar about it. Then it hit me. Square 5C collet and square collet block. Remove the locating set screw from the block and you have the infinite angle South Bend grinding jig.
Thank you. PM me and I'll let you know where to send the money.

Hi Stan, I have just received a 3/8 square 5 C collet from the US, I intend to use it in my tool and cutter grinder for grinding toolbits. Did a quick test and was very happy with the results, allows me to grind any relief angles that I want. Will also allow me to grind grooving tools with ease.

Paul.

Never having used a T&C grinder, I'm curious. Does it have an actual holder for 5C collets?

Hi Stan, Yes the type of cutter grinder that I have has a spindle that takes 5C collets. Will see if I can find a picture of the type.

Paul.

CUTTERMASTER Tool and Cutter Grinder Accessories
To purchase, call us at (800) 417-2171 or (613) 523 7753
CM-01 CUTTERMASTER Tool & Cutter Grinder complete with air bearing fixture, work area lighting, 5″ cup aluminum oxide wheel & air filter $3,475.00 *Supplies limited

Good grief. Instead of buying my new drills, slot drills, end mills, etc., whatever could be sharpened, but at the instant the tool has an inkling for being not 100% (=somewhat dull), I junk the bit, and buy new and the best, $3475 will cover easily for the rest of my life for tools. Sharpening is a very good thing, and sharp tools are a joy to work. But if I bought new (rec. price) a German/Chinese OPTI D 240 x 500 G lathe, €1559, and a German/Chinese OPTI BF 16 Vario mill, €969, I'd still available some €120 to spend some "needs", instead of Cuttermaster...

I got my cuttermaster in a trade for some work that I did. The original owner had not used it for a long time and it was sitting on a shelf getting dusty.

Olli, you were complaining about the new price of a cuttermaster, a lot of people have Bridgeport mills, but if you look at their new price, no one would buy them. Have a look around at the used market like everyone else.

Paul.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,
This "Wet Grinder" forum is very infectious/epidemic and I am kicking myself for missing out the Japanese Quality Grinder.:wall:

No budget to buy Tormek or the very expensive Japanese eqv,bought these diamond hone files and make do to hone HSS
for fine finishing cuts with Tapmatic Oil.. :hDe:
A DIY wet stone grinder will take up too much space.:wall:

Make a grinding attachment for your lathe. That way you can run the wheel at any reasonable speed. Put a tube of water under the wheel and you can wet grind.

One other thing, when rough shaping high speed steel consider using cut off wheels in a die grinder to remove bulk material. They cut extremely fast without putting a lot of heat into the steel. You still need a grinder solution to get to final form. This approach can save a huge amount of time if a lot of material removal is required.

As for belt grinding I can recommend that approach also. The common 6" grinder isn't always the best tool for the job.

I'm just wondering the problems some are experiencing is to do with the crap Chinese and Indian stuff we tend to get a lot of here. Every foreigner that lands on our shores want to start a business importing their crap from their home country, seen an Indian run shop selling cooking pots, I think they were made from re-enforced tin bloody foil with with brass gilding on handles, absolute sht at premium prices.

I believe each machine has "quirks" that must be dealt with by the operator.

Here is my tool grinding attachment I made for my stent T&C grinder.
I have nearly finished the adaptor for holding round stock eg endmill, slotdrills, dee bits.

Cheers
Paul

Radius 1.jpg

Radius 2.jpg

Radius 3.jpg

Reactions: gus
Been grinding HSS toolbits on ordinary bench grinders for 40 years or more at home and at work and never a problem. Usually keep a tin of water next to the grinder and when you feel the toolbit getting hot on your fingers, dip it in water and swish it around a bit.

Agree 100% I have been doing the same for about 60 years,
Don

Latest posts

Back