Grinding HSS tools

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do all my toolbit grinding offhand, with a cheap Craftsman bench grinder. You can see if you overheat the edge. It will turn blue. All you have to do is cool the part down, and grind off the blue portion. I dunk the toolbit in water quite a bit.

On the grinder wheels... You never want to have a really hard matrix, especially for rough cutting toolbits. The oxide might be hard, but you want it imbedded in a relatively soft matrix, so that as the abrasive particles get dull, they fall off the wheel, revealing new, sharp grit.

So you are jumping in and giving advice. OK . So how about posting an introduction in the welcome sub fora . Tell us a bit about yourself, your background your home shop and tools and your interest in model engine building.
Tin

So you are jumping in and giving advice. OK . So how about posting an introduction in the welcome sub fora . Tell us a bit about yourself, your background your home shop and tools and your interest in model engine building.
Tin

Tin,

I left an introduction. I'm not able to come to the forum that often. Hope people don't mind if I throw an idea out there, and then leave for a few weeks or longer.

Back