Greetings

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OgreOwner

Reaction score
Seems like this is the place to say Hello and tell a bit about yourself, so here goes.

I am Karl and live in Utah. I work as a Science Teacher teaching the easy stuff: Chemistry and Physics. I keep my brain working by reasearching patents and want to build a few that I have found.

The thing that brought me here was Patent # 4,698,973 which involves a uni-flow steam engine. He gives no dimensions in the patent, so I am toying with my scrap to figure out how big to make the piston. The project is a solar powered steam engine.

I have a small wood shop, and a small metal shop. My biggest lathe can turn a 6" hunk of metal. I am not yet CNC equipped, but hope to get there someday. I am a computer geek of the first order, have been an electronics tech and have an Amatuer Extra Ham Radio license.

I went to the google books site and downloaded a few old books on steam engine design. One of them said that a 5" piston would develop 866 HP. That seems a bit outlandish to me and I hope that some of you could comment.

Karl

Karl,

Welcome to our forum
icon_welcome.gif

In theory all things are possible e.g. a 5" piston with a 1 ft stroke single acting with an MEP of 1500 psi and 1000 rpm indicates around 890 hp.

Best Regards
Bob

Latest posts

Back