Greetings From Minnesota (Thanks putputman)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quickj

Reaction score
I would like to introduce myself to HMEM, and give a shout of Thanks to PutPutMan for telling me of the existance of this board.

My Name is James Quick, I am a 54 year old (as of today, it really is my birthday) hobby machinist from Minnetonka Minnesota. I ran into Arvid (putputman) yesterday at the Albany Threshing show at Albany, MN (in the model engineering area of course) and he told me I should check this site out. I browsed for a few minutes and knew I had to join.

My Interests are basically anything Model engineering. I have steam, stirling and model machine tool kits, either completed or "in Progress". I have castings "seasoning" under the Bench from Stuart, MLA, and PM research that I will get to someday. In addition to casting kits, I have been building from internet plans, with barstock, and working on some of my own designs.

My shop is home to a 1947 Southbend 9" Model A lathe, A Benchmaster vertical Milling Machine, A Rockwell Vertical milling machine, and all of the typical support machines like a bandsaw, power hacksaw, grinders, buffers, etc.

I hope to be able to contribute to the various forums of the group, and I hope that I am able to teach as much as learn.

Thanks

James Quick

Welcome James, glad you found HMEM and decided to join. Will look forward to hearing about and seeing your projects...finished or not. I hope putputman told you we love pics here ;D

Regards,
Bill

Welcome to the forum James.

Yep...even just a few minutes will tell you pics are greatly valued here.

What are you working on now or are going to work on?
Can you post some pics of things you've done?

James

A very hearty welcome to you. It really is great of you to join our forum. To do it on your birthday is even greater. I am sure that you will find lots to interest you. If you have any question there is usually someone around with an answer or at least an opinion or comment. Enjoy your stay.

And a Great BIG HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you, hope you have many more.

Cheers :)

Don

Welcome James, I'm glad to see another Benchmaster mill owner. I thought that I was using the last one on earth. Mine has original power table feed and I opened up the quill to use MT3 collets and I power it with a DC motor with speed control.

Welcome James Quick. I'm glad you followed up and joined HMEM. You will like it here. Looking forward to seeing some of your photos.

James & I met at a mutual acquaintance's booth at the Albany, MN. Pioneers Days. We both spent a lot of time taking to and admiring the works of Neil James. Neil has some of the most outstanding engines I have ever seen. His attention to details right down to the wooden engine bases is perfection. Although Neil displays at several local shows, unfortunately, he is not into computers, so most of his work is seen by only a few people. I would like to show a couple videos of his work I took at LeSueur and Albany shows.

Please excuse the quality of the video as it is just a digital camera & not a cam-corder.

Albany:

LeSueur:

Wow! Some very nice engines there!
Thanks very much for posting the videos.
Intimidating yet motivating.

Mike,
This year I went to the shows in:
Jordan, MN (Scott Carver Threshers)
Winfield, KS (International Hot Air Show)
Nowthen, MN
Leseuer, MN
Rollag, MN
Atwater, MN
Forest City, IA
Albany, MN

I also try to get to NAME's every year, but I missed it this year. I am thinking about the Estevan Model show in Estevan, Canada on October 17th and 18th, and perhaps the Model show at the American Precision Museum in Vermont on October 31st.

Hi, Quickj. Welcome to our forum. I look forward to see some of your work posted here. It looks like you travel in some fine company, in MN. I had arranged to meet putputman at Albany, what a great chat we had, a pleasure to meet him, as well as some of the exhibitors, there. I'm told that Leseuer MN is a good place for model viewing. Were there good exhibits this year? I may try to get over there next year from Wisconsin.

Davyboy

Latest posts

Back