Great haul today and motor help.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kd0afk

Reaction score
I was helping move something out of a wood shop today and the owner gave me a Delta model 1180 shaper, a Delta contractors saw without a motor (belt driven) and a 115V motor. The motor has no nomenclature plate so I have no idea how powerful it is. The bolt pattern isn't the same as the saw so it wasn't used on it. The guy said he thought it was a 1/3 horse but he wasn't sure. How can I find out the power of it? I would like to make an adapter plate so it would work on the saw if it's powerful enough. How do I find out it's rating?

Sorry bout that. It might help.

DSC_0370.jpg

I have some acetone and I'm going to try and find a plate under the black plate.

Take the end cover off to see if the motor has a commutator and carbon brush system, .... or not.
Will give a good indication to the power of the motor.
The motor probably would benefit from a clean-up and service anyway.

More pictures .......

The photo looks like a very common 1/4, or maybe 1/3 hp induction motor. They were used on all kinds of tools and appliance, fans, lots of household uses. There is no capacitor on it so its an induction start, or split phase motor. About the only thing that ever happens to them is the internal centrifigal switch fails mostly from dirty points.

I checked CL today and a guy had a jointer for sale. The motor konked out so he bought a new one and just needs the old one gone. All cast iron and in very nice shape: $10. I love the hell out of Craigslist.

Whatever the power, I think it'll make a dandy motor for a toolpost grinder.

Latest posts

Back