Graver

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

RobWilson

Looking good Tony Thm: , nothing better than using a tool ,you have made
Regards Rob

Nice one, Tony. I have a number of them I've made for use on my WW lathe. The tapered handle and brass ferrule are a nice touch. Nice to make your own tools when you can. Leaves a little piece of you in the shop.

Have you tried using 1/8" square HSS tool steel? It's what I use for mine. They're very inexpensive and save the time of having to harden drill rod/silver steel/gauge plate, etc.

The 50 degree angle should work great. I keep some of mine at 50, some at 60.

Dean

Deanofid said:

Have you tried using 1/8" square HSS tool steel? It's what I use for mine. They're very inexpensive and save the time of having to harden drill rod/silver steel/gauge plate, etc.

Dean

Hi Dean,

I have read that a lot of people use 1/8 square HSS but haven't tried it yet.
This is the first one I've made.
Having to harden and then temper the SS was a good thing last night as it was only 12C in my workshop, so I wasn't going to complain about anything that would help warm it up.
I actually do have two 1/8 gravers with my watchmakers lathe, these were my great grandfathers but I do need to resharpen them as it would be nearly 25 years since they were sharpened correctly.
I was going to make a honing guide until I saw one on ebay for 4 pounds and decided at that price I would save myself the work.
So many things to make and not enough time for all of them.

Back