Graphite rod and Test tube

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonP

Reaction score
I am building Jan Ridder's delightful 'Thermo Pulse Mobile' and his 'Flame Eater with Internal Valve.'
There are 2 items I am having difficulty sourcing though - the accurate ID test tube for the Thermo Pulse and Graphite rod, dia 25mm, for the Flame Eater.

I would appreciate advice and helpful comments to source these critical items perhaps from those who have built these models.:)
Thank you
Ron

I ordered my graphite rod from Amazon.com. Seriously, just type "graphite rod" into their search. It's listed in inch sizes, but it machines quite easily (use a vacuum/wear a mask though).

I am building Jan Ridder's delightful 'Thermo Pulse Mobile' and his 'Flame Eater with Internal Valve.'
There are 2 items I am having difficulty sourcing though - the accurate ID test tube for the Thermo Pulse and Graphite rod, dia 25mm, for the Flame Eater.

I would appreciate advice and helpful comments to source these critical items perhaps from those who have built these models.:)
Thank you
Ron

Hi,

Jan was kind enough to let me know that he has used the Fortuna Optima glass syringe, I have not been able to find a supplier for these in the UK even though the parent company is listed on the web. The test tubes that I have got on the eBay have not been suitable so far. So if accuracy of the glass dimensions are critical, you may have to think of an alternative. I ordered the Graphite rod from the US, it worked out cheaper for me to buy the 1" bar and pay postage than buying it in the UK, max size I found here was 16 mm Dia. In addition once I checked the specs for the fortuna glass it stated that it was autoclavable to 134 degrees C, somewhat too low for an IC engine.
Regards,

A.G

Hopefully this will help here in the USA the standard for lab glass is Pyrex borisilicate glass. it is more resistant to heat shock than standard glassware. It has even been used to make cookware and telescope mirrors.
a little googling has show it is sold and stocked by stained glass shops it is available in four foot sections various OD and wall thicknesses.

the heavy stuff largest OD available is 22.2 mm x 3.2 mm wall about $20 USD

worth a look

http://www.tracysworkshop.com/p-15899-corning-pyrex-glass-tubing-heavy-wall-thickness.aspx
Tin

OK gents how about this, a liitle googe, and I find a place just across the river from where I work . they have PYREX, Quartz , or Alumina furnace tubes. $ 40 min order

Quarz tube
QFT-25 x HW x12
25mm x 20mm x 12" $48.00

FurnaceTubes1.jpg

I do think this would work for an IC engines. and they have 50 mm tube as well .

http://www.greatglas.com/QuartzFurnaceTubes.htm
I think this will help the cause.
If you want to go big they have pyrex 2" furnace tube heavy wall for $44 a bit cheaper than the quartz.
these guys can cut to length and they do international shipments.

Tin

Back