Another Lamina Flow/Pulse Mobile

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave420g

Reaction score
Having completed a Brass Stirling '60' over christmas (http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=17233.0, I have now completed my version of Jan Ridders Thermo Pulse Mobile. woohoo1

DSC_0304.jpg

DSC_0307.jpg

DSC_0305.jpg

DSC_0303.jpg

and video...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU-HeGXBs2M&context=C3fea221ADOEgsToPDskJ3SxzqL-7ZAP6rDBsPm-Us]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU-HeGXBs2M&context=C3fea221ADOEgsToPDskJ3SxzqL-7ZAP6rDBsPm-Us[/ame]

Basically made to the plans Jan supplied with slight modifications i.e. spirit burner tuned from solid aluminium, slightly simpler restricter - held in with 'o' ring rather than springs, aluminium piston, but otherwise same dimensions etc. Ran pretty much straight away. It does stop every revolution (on the video) but this is due to the metal band used being a joined (Mamod) band and it sticks at the join. I need to cure this. :redface2:

Good fun project, took around 4 days in total so quite quick (all on my Myford ML7, including the wooden base!).
Only downside is the cost of the test tube - had to buy 10 and only used 1!. :(

Next project - maybe a flame eater but I need to get my 3" Burrell traction engine ready for the season first with its boiler test in a couple of weeks. Thm:

Cheers
Dave

Very nicely done!!! ;D

That is on my list of to do's!!

Where did you manage to buy the test tube from?
Most of what i have found are to +-0.5mm round.

Andrew

Congratulations Dave, beautifully made.

I had a heck of a time getting mine to run, but I sure was happy when it did. I know you must be too.

It's good to see you have had success with the aluminum piston.

Very nice engine Dave Thm: Well Done!

Kind regards, Arnold

Very well executed, Dave. :bow: Nice modifications as well. You know, the more I look at and see this style of engine,it just makes me think about doing one that much more :-\.

BC1
Jim

Hello Dave,
What a delightful Thermo Pulse, it looks beaut and runs well; no doubt you have fixed the join in the drive rubber by now!!
I am just finishing my attempt at this model and would appreciate your help.
I note you changed the restrictor, I would appreciate to know what you did there and also with the O ring rather than the springs.
I am having difficulty sourcing the test tube so can you advise the supplier please?
Your aluminium piston seems to be just fine so I would appreciate your procedure for it. Graphite rod is not easy to source and is quite expensive.

Thanks Dave
Ron

Hello Dave,
What a delightful Thermo Pulse, it looks beaut and runs well; no doubt you have fixed the join in the drive rubber by now!!
I am just finishing my attempt at this model and would appreciate your help.
I note you changed the restrictor, I would appreciate to know what you did there and also with the O ring rather than the springs.
I am having difficulty sourcing the test tube so can you advise the supplier please?
Your aluminium piston seems to be just fine so I would appreciate your procedure for it. Graphite rod is not easy to source and is quite expensive.

Thanks Dave
Ron

Hi Dave, I have enjoyed the pics of your model, it is a beaut model. I am part way thro building my model but having difficulty to find a source for the test tube; might you be able to advise your supplier, address and the sizing if it is different to the original plan? Also, you mentioned you had a 'slightly simpler restricter - held in with 'o' ring rather than springs'. Would you send me a sketch of that mod as it does sound a good idea. Dave, if I have emailed you previously for this please excuse me as I have misplaced my list of those whom I have contacted!! Many thanks Dave Cheers Ron

Latest posts

Back