Good for second project??

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

Hiya all, I should shortly be finishing my EZ engine,.. and while looking through the 'Popular Science' mags online came across this 'Rotary valve steam engine " {page 144, December 1961 issue..}

http://books.google.com/books/seria...erial:iicDAAAAMBAJ&rview=1&lr=&sa=N&start=540

I would like your advice on its suitability for my second engine, there is something about it I just 'like'?? I would like to do it all in brass, and think it would look great, can anyone see any snags???

(thats if I can drag myself away from reading all the issues, what a great mag!! )

Thanks, Fred

It is a nice engine. Runs real good. Built mine about 2 years ago. Good instructions and simple machining. ironman

2CYLD.JPG

2Cyl Stm1.jpg

2CYLG.JPG

Hi Fred. Its difficult for some one else to know you capabilities and suggest what you should build next. I'll stick my neck out a bit and say that for a second build, and with only the "easy build" completed, I would recommend staying away from a split connecting rod and a crank shaft for a second build.

I would start by looking at all of Elmer's plans and maybe pick one that's just a step above what you all ready built. Or a higher step if you feel your ready. The concern here is that biting off more than one can chew can lead to disappointment.

http://www.john-tom.com/html/ElmersEngines.html

A specific recommendation is difficult with no way to judge your skill level.

-MB

Fred,
It's got a few tricky bits, but nothing overwhelming. I'd suggest starting with a connecting rod. If that goes well, you're on your way. It's a fun engine to watch run. I used Al and brass which helps ease machining. Photos of mine here.
Regards,
Dennis

Hi Fred,

I am at about the same stage as you are. I completed the E-Z build right after the prints were published and then spent the last weeks screwing around making tools and more importantly, wearing down the honey-do list. Recently I downloaded the prints for the River Queen Open Column Launch engine and started on it. So far I have completed all of the lathe operations and have the mill portions left to do. I am using a Smithy 3in1 machine and I have to reverse the rotation of the motor for those operations. Last week I had a brain fart while I was using the machine and pushed the reverse switch while it was running and some of the smoke that is required for the operation of electrical components leaked out and now I am waiting for a new part with smoke inside to arrive. The engine has a small footprint; 1" wide, 2" long, and 3" high. You will learn about line boring for the crankshaft and see a new type of valve system. I think that it can be built using a drill press instead of a mill. I will post some pictures soon.

Jack

True MB. I should have known that. Started to recommend John-Tom's site. Positive reply. ironman

Hi,

I also have just finished the EZ engine and am feeling 10feet tall.

Looked on this site and have downloaded the plans for the River Queen Engine also. I have doubled the scale and finished the flywheel, shaft and crank.

I can see the limitations of my experience and tooling, am about to order a Optimum BF20L Mill, not that this will improve my megre knowledge at this stage, but I hope it will encourage me to move forward.

I agree with the comment of overextending leads to dissapointment and eventually could lead to loss of interest. A good case for slowly, slowly. I'll leave the build of a V6 quad cam internal engine for a few more days. :big:

Good luck with all your future builds. But I bet you will alwaqys remember the EZ Engine.

KenM

Back