Gits oiler

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blockmanjohn

Reaction score
Hi,
I was wondering if any one is familiar with the type of Gits oiler that I have on my Bridgeport type "H" head? It has a tube in the center and it has the letters P.T. stamped in the lid. I'm not sure what the tube is for. I pumped some oil into it and it ran out the bottom of the spindle. Maybe it oils some thing on its way out. The oil level in the cup has always stayed full with no need for additional oil. There are also 4 push type ball oilers on the head.

I guess I'm mostly curious about the tube if it is not simply another place to pour in oil. If you have any experience or ideas I would like to hear from you. Thanks, John.

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

Hi John
It looks from the photo that the wick is missing. A strand of thick knitting wool down the centre tube to lower than the bottom of the oil well with the other end into the oil well. The oil is fed by capillary action to the spindle.

As the above post, plus a pipe cleaner works good too.
Craft shop has them.

Thanks for the great information. I knew there were people out there that knew what this was all about. Thanks again, John. By the way, do you think a piece of felt wicking as used by my South Bend lathe would work?

By the way, do you think a piece of felt wicking as used by my South Bend lathe would work?

Yes, it's a good idea to use wick lubrication, but mostly of these lathe has drip sight feed oiler such as in Myford lathe to example (see picture). After the work is ended, pick the wick away from the tube inside the wick lubricator and let it be in the oil container to not waste the oil without use. When use, put the wick into the tube with steelwire. The drip sight feed oiler has a valve to close oil to not waste away oil after use and the valve is adjustable to required amount of oil drops to lubricate the bearings.

drip feed oiler.jpg

drip feed.jpg

drip.jpg

Latest posts

Back