German drawings question

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chucketn

Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I was looking for plans for my next build attempt and found a single cylinder vertical steam engine on the John-Tom siteI have used various websites to translate the text from German to English.
http://www.john-tom.com/MyPlans/SteamPlans3/GermanSingleVertical/BP-Dampf.pdf
I have a question on the dimension call outs. Several detentions are given as 2 numbers separated by a comma. For example, on the second page, the base plate(Grundplatte) has a hole in the lower right corner dimensioned 3,5. Is this the same as 3.5, or is it specifying something else? I understand that Europeans use the comma as we Americans use the decimal point in numbers. I just want to be sure I understand the call out.
Chuck

As you said, 3,5 = 3.5 mm. Don´t forget that threads are metric: M2 is metric (60° thread angle), 2 mm. step.

I will probably take the time to convert the plans to imperial. I can work in metric, but my fastener collection as well as my taps are mostly imperial.

Chuck

Hello Chuck,
I went the other way with the engines I am building and converted all dimensions, threads, hole diameters and hardware from imperial to metric. Its what one is used to I guess.

Peter J.

I have just finished translating these plans to English text. I added the translations to the original .pdf. I did not change the dimensions.
If there is interest, I will attach the translated file.
Thanks to all those that helped me to understand the drawings.
I have also offered the translated version to the John-Tom site.

chuck

Another "watch out" is that German (and many European) drawings use a different view convention than is used in the USA. To a USA person, the "Right View" is actually the Left and vice versa. There is often a small symbol in the title block showing views of a tapered pin which makes the view convention clear.
Terry S

Latest posts

Back