Gear suppliers in Oz.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herbiev

Reaction score
Just been hunting around for the two gears for the Rupnow vertical engine. The only suppliers i can find is the one UK as suggested by David in New Zealand or Amazon in the U.S. When converted to Aussie $ they come to between $90 to $120. The killer is the postage. $50 from the UK AND $60 from the US. Does anyone know of an Aussie supplier or even Chinese supplier with reasonable postage.

Try hobbyparts .com.au
They might have something you can use / modify.

I've found eBay to be very good and most sizes available from China. In the search field, type "36t gear mod 1" and there's a gear listed in China for very cheap. I just used a 36t gear as an example, but change it to what ever you want and you will be surprised what comes up.

These are the gears Herbie needs. I made my own, as I have a set of 24 DP gearcutters. Herbie needs to buy something which can be modified to suit what is shown here.---Brian

Last edited:
IF you wish Herbie,i can make a 3 tooth cutter and try to make 2 gears
Part of my learning curve.You only live round the corner.As I see it you need a 15 and a 30 T gear to mesh at 0.937 ctres.What say you Brian

IF you wish Herbie,i can make a 3 tooth cutter and try to make 2 gears
Part of my learning curve.You only live round the corner.As I see it you need a 15 and a 30 T gear to mesh at 0.937 ctres.What say you Brian
Yes Bazmak, that would work. the beauty in that is that the gears only have to mesh with each other, not any other purchased gears. The tooth count and center distance are the critical things.---Brian

Many thanks for all the replies. Brian, i have a rotary table with dividing plates but dont have a gear hob cutter unfortunately. Bazmak, i shall take you up on your kind offer if thats ok. Gear suppliers in Oz are either non existent or are way too expensive for the pensioner hobbyist.

Give me a call on 83775847.If you get the answer machine leave your no
we don't always pick up due to cold calls.You can then call round for a coffee
and to form a plan of action. Regards Barry

Herbie Capalaba miniature bearings in Brisbane have an excellent range of gears bearings what ever you want there on line catalogue is worth a look

Hello Herbie, Agood source of gear supplies are R & I Instruments and Gear Co Aust P/L. I have had a range from them and they will make gears to order.
Norm

Thanks Geo and Norm. Will check them out.

Herbie--there is a lot of information on that website. I know perhaps 2% of it. All of the information I have to give about the two gears is on the drawings. All in all, there are only really two critical factors. The gears must have a 2:1 ratio, and they must have a center to center distance of 0.9375". The center to center distance is arrived at by adding half of the pitch diameter of the 15 tooth gear (.3125") to half of the pitch diameter of the 30 tooth gear (.625"). I used two different gear cutters to cut them, a #7 for the 15 tooth and a #4 for the 30 tooth. The depth of cut is 0.090". I used my rotary table and divider plates to set the spacing in degrees between the cuts. (24* between cuts on the 15 tooth and 12* between cuts on the 30 tooth.) If you built the main body as per the dimensions I gave, the crankshaft and camshaft will be 0.9375" center to center, to accept these two gears. If I can help in any way, let me know.---Brian

Last edited:
Thanks Brian. Im glad the dimensions are all layed out. Makes life a lot simpler.

I would just make the gears
It faster and cheaper

If not want make the gears look for lower cost shipping DO NOT use Air shipping it is very high
Last month a purchase a welding hood and shipping was only $24.00 from China
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DW6TKHW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
:fan:
Good luck
Dave

Just been hunting around for the two gears for the Rupnow vertical engine. The only suppliers i can find is the one UK as suggested by David in New Zealand or Amazon in the U.S. When converted to Aussie $ they come to between $90 to $120. The killer is the postage. $50 from the UK AND $60 from the US. Does anyone know of an Aussie supplier or even Chinese supplier with reasonable postage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back