Gear Box Oil Pump

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

velocette

Reaction score
Hi
On retirement I set up a small hobby machine shop to keep my hands and mind busy
A 10 X 27 lathe with a 6 Speed Gearbox was purchased second hand and installed.

Not being as nimble as I was once thread cutting was a nightmare at 115 rpm so a
DC motor and speed controller were fitted.

Successful thread cutting achieved started me wondering if the oil supply was adequate at low speeds.

An oil circulating system was to be the answer with 24 volt motor driving a gear type oil pump running at a slower speed supplied with about 6 volts DC.

A strainer that would trap any debris over .004" 0 .1 mm was fitted to the intake an an automotive oil filter fitted to the outlet.

The top cover for the gearbox was discarded and a oil delivery manifold constructed from two 10 mm polycarbonate sheet with gallerys milled and holes drilled with short nylon tubes push fitted in to get the oil to all bearings and gears.

The two sheets where super glued around the edge to prevent any leaks and drilled and tapped and screwed together.

Attached a couple of photos and marked the delivery tubes location.

Eric

Jets.jpg

Pump.jpg

Interesting approach to a problem.

I know this sounds silly but did you drop your glasses into the sump or is that a bad reflection?

Don't get dizzy watching all the pretty gears go 'round n 'round.
One of my girlfriends would have!

Latest posts

Back