X2 Mini Mill Power Feed

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, is there anyway of controlling a stepper motor via a potentiometer.As yet I have limited knowledge of these motors.Any advise most welcome.
Cheers.

Not directly, but its not hard. You need some kind of pulse generator. A simple circuit with 555 timer IC will do it. I think there are a couple kits available for just a few dollars, ask Google. Its also very easy with an arduino, but that is kind of overkill.

I just finished a power feed for the Z axis of my Grizzly G0704 mill. I used an arduino and have a push button for up and down. I also have a push button that sets a limit position so the motor will not run past that point.

David

Can I ask how you powered your stepper motor and what program you used to make it move, this was the part that I had the most trouble with, of late I've been messing with powering the X axis, I don't think the Y axis is going to be a problem as it should take a stepper straight onto the back, heaven only knows if I can manage to adapt the Arduino to run all three steppers though.
Mark
Griffin,
I did not use a program. The motor was powered by a stepper motor drive board . I added a pulse generator to provide the clock pulse and switches provided voltage to the "enable" terminal and earthing to the "direction" terminal. The driver and pulse generator were bought on eBay. I include a couple of pics. One day I might get to and build a proper CNC unit. Currently I'm just happy not to have keep cranking handles.
Cheers

Pulsegen.JPG

StepperDriver.JPG

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the info will take me just that bit further down the yellow brick road.
Cheers and Thanks

Check into Arduino. You can create some pretty simple or extensive driver programs. Or just copy one of the hundreds you'll find scattered.

Hi All,
Thanks a lot for all the helpful info,I have ordered the generator board and driver board from e-bay.
Cheers.

Latest posts

Back