Galloway Pattern Making

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Must be about 10 years ago that you first showed those Galloway drawings, any castings yet?

I see you have modelled it as a round rod just like the commercial kits buy the image of the engine at the top of the thread has the forged "I" section conrod?

I think Pat uses Solidworks.

I tend to use Alibre with a few tweaks added with F360 if need be such a some of the fillets which it handles better. Don't have too much of an issue with tapered elliptical spokes, it's just a case of drawing two ellipses and lofting between the two. Fun starts when the spokes are curved, even more so when an "S" shape.

This one was modelled from a Patent drawing and is a little shy of 16" dia. hardwood & MDF pattern which has to be handed for each side due to the S shaped spokes and the finished casting. Tipped the scales at 20kg (44lbs)

Flywheel Render.JPG
20200823_135045.jpg
casting.jpg

Must be about 10 years ago that you first showed those Galloway drawings, any castings yet?

I see you have modeled it as a round rod just like the commercial kits buy the image of the engine at the top of the thread has the forged "I" section conrod?
I have a bad case of "engineitis", which is too many engines, so little time.
At this point I am trying to focus more on one engine at a time, and thus the Dake is much further along than anything else, so it is next I guess as far as making castings.

I had a work avalanche about 2 years ago, and it has been rather brutal, with no time left for modeling or foundry work.

I don't know where I got that round rod, other than perhaps I saw it in a photo of another Galloway.
I think it needs to match the photo my my dad's engine though (I section), for authenticity.

I did actually start printing the patterns for the Galoway, and at the time, I did not really know how to adjust the head height very well, and so I did not get much printed for the Galloway.
The photos below are for the top of the hopper.

rImg_3187.jpg
rImg_3189.jpg

I think Pat uses Solidworks.

I tend to use Alibre with a few tweaks added with F360 if need be such a some of the fillets which it handles better. Don't have too much of an issue with tapered elliptical spokes, it's just a case of drawing two ellipses and lofting between the two. Fun starts when the spokes are curved, even more so when an "S" shape.

This one was modelled from a Patent drawing and is a little shy of 16" dia. hardwood & MDF pattern which has to be handed for each side due to the S shaped spokes and the finished casting. Tipped the scales at 20kg (44lbs)

View attachment 135065View attachment 135066View attachment 135067
That is an awesome flywheel and pattern.
Very cool.
Edit: I see the can next to the flywheel. That is really what I call in these parts "a boss-hog" flywheel.
Superb casting quality too!

It took me a while to learn how to loft spokes, not that it is really a difficult thing to do.

What is the thinking with that hopper top pattern?

I would have thought you would make the pattern with a core print at the top and no detail of the hole. The radiused corner on the underside would be formed by the core so no need to produce it on the pattern.

galloway hopper.JPG

I would have thought you would make the pattern with a core print at the top and no detail of the hole. The radiused corner on the underside would be formed by the core so no need to produce it on the pattern.

View attachment 135072
I am not sure I completely thought it through.
Sometimes I just print the various parts first to get a feel for the size of things/assemblies, potential parting lines and gate postions, etc.
And I was still toying around with cores, and how to make them in SW.

One school of thought is to make a split pattern, such as for the Galloway water hopper, fill it with bound sand, and let it set.
Then drill a down in the top and glue on a round core print.

I considered 3D printing patterns with core prints on them, but am trying to avoid that, and just print the patterns as-is, and add core prints on the fly.
I can adhere various core pieces with ceramic adhesive, and so it is not critical that the cores all be in one piece.

Just thinking out loud, perhaps another train of thought would be to ram the water hopper pattern with bound sand, and use a large wood dowel rod in the center. Then make a round bound core using a piece of PVC pipe slit on one side, and slide the round core into the hole, to make core prints.

If and when I can get back out into the shop, I will no doubt play around with several methods.

I am straining to recall my methology, but as I remember, the intent was to eliminate the need to make a pattern with core prints protruding out, and then also have to make a corebox for the core.
My intent was to just 3D print the part (in this case the water hopper) exactly as it is, with shrinkage allowance to make the pattern slightly larger, and not have to make both a pattern and a corebox.

Smarter, not harder, as they say.
I generally find that if everyone else does it a certain way, then there most certainly is a much better way to do it, given modern bound sand, 3D printing, etc.

This was a challenge in mental recall for me.
I am no spring chicken anymore.

Edit:
Probably not a very good example, but on the green twin, I made the base pattern, and then just made the cope and drag molds.
No cores required, although for the first mold I attempted for that part, I did make a core, and tried to anchor it in unbound sand.
Bound sand is the only way to fly in my opinion, and it solves so many problems.

If you really must have a corebox, make a negative of the part in SW, and then 3D print the corebox.
But generally, just use the part itself as a corebox and save a ton of time and effort.

Edit02:
Someone mentioned that I did not need to cut a hole in the plywood for this pattern, but rather just place the flat side down, ram one side, flip it, and ram the other side.
I learn as I go.

The odd flask shape is to save on sand, which is not easily reused.

rIMG_3148.jpg
rIMG_3150.jpg
rIMG_3151.jpg
rIMG_3158.jpg
rIMG_3160.jpg
rIMG_3162.jpg
rIMG_3182.jpg

Last edited:
@Greentwine, this is awesome!!! Congratulations (thumps up)
Thanks much.
I struggled to learn 3D modeling, and threw in the towel on many days, and just assumed that I would never be able to learn 3D modeling.

A guy named Rob Wilson in the UK inspired me to learn 3D modeling and foundry work.
He is really good with engine castings/patterns/furnaces/burners, etc., and makes me look like an amateur, which I am.
I am not sure where Rob has gotten off to.
I have not seen him around for a long while.

View attachment 135072
Another thing I have noticed with many casting kits is that a lot of the parts tend to be more like blobs of metal, and are solid.
I generally like to build models that are large enough so that I can core out most of the parts/pieces.
And thus another reason to just 3D print the parts exactly as they are designed, with the hollow spaces in them if they have that feature.

The cool thing about making your own castings is that you no longer have to worry about the saying that I hear more and more often, which is "We don't make that kit anymore".
If a kit is not available, or I want a different scale, no problem, all I need is a few good photos, and I can recreate an engine.

The twin pattern that you show is known as "self Coding" and does work on some items but would not work on say the galloway hopper as the round hole at the top and rectangular one at the bottom are smaller than the internal size of the hopper

This pattern for a V twin that I made is also self Coding, as it's quite deep a steeper draft angle was used internally. The pattern is still split vertically so teh external shape can be pulled from the sand.

20201019_153624.jpg

20201102_115747.jpg

20210726_151502.jpg

One school of thought is to make a split pattern, such as for the Galloway water hopper, fill it with bound sand, and let it set.
Then drill a down in the top and glue on a round core print.

I considered 3D printing patterns with core prints on them, but am trying to avoid that, and just print the patterns as-is, and add core prints on the fly.
I can adhere various core pieces with ceramic adhesive, and so it is not critical that the cores all be in one piece.

Just thinking out loud, perhaps another train of thought would be to ram the water hopper pattern with bound sand, and use a large wood dowel rod in the center. Then make a round bound core using a piece of PVC pipe slit on one side, and slide the round core into the hole, to make core prints.

Pat, I'm not sure why you are talking about sand for core prints. The core print is a part of the pattern that leaves an impression or print in the sand. It is the black projection on that galloway hopper that I posted a sketch of not the actual core. I can understand you filling the hollow hopper with sand and bonding on a sand cylinder to make the core (the sand coloured bit at the bottom of my sketch which is then supported by the recess made by the patterns print but not using sand for the pattern.

Back