Future Shock

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philjoe5

Reaction score
I bought a new computer recently. I didn’t want to replace the old (6 years) girl but she was dying a slow death. After I set up the machine, installed new software etc. and went to turn it off I was informed there were 46 updates. I was kind of surprised since I had bought and downloaded new software just that day, and the computer was new out of the box.

As these updates were taking place I tried to imagine this kind of thing happening when we go out and buy new machine tools. For example, you bring home a new lathe. Set it up, it seems to be running OK, passes all the performance checks. Later that day, you get a call from the store. The guys says “you know that new lathe you bought, there’s 46 things that need fixing”. Don’t worry, we’ll come over to your shop and put the new motor in, rescrape the ways etc. and it won’t cost you a penny”. Next morning you’re just about to go in the shop and the guy calls back and says “there are a few more things we need to get your lathe in top condition and we’ll be right over to fix them, no cost to you of course”.

I’m reminded of Alvin Toffler’s novel “Future Shock” written in 1970. I read it around 1979 and thought, no that could never happen.

Wikipedia has this to say about the book:
In the book, Toffler defines the term "future shock" as a certain psychological state of individuals and entire societies. His shortest definition for the term is a personal perception of "too much change in too short a period of time".
Amen :'(
Phil

This of course if you are not into CNC, if you are then your machines are just peripheral to your Windows.
My Grandfather (I really loved my paternal grandparents, they were so old school and proper about everything) was born in Wales about 1890 so when he grew up about the most technical things he saw as a kid were steam powered. He lived to see men put on the Moon and brought back. He always used to say, "They might put men on the Moon but they will never bring them back."
I don't know how old you are but for us Baby Boomers there has been a tremendous shift in attitude. When I was in university in '69 I worked on a campus newspaper and we ran a serious article about oral contraceptives (The Pill was just released to Humanity about then), the how and the what and what we thought were the social implications. Would you believe that our paper was on sale for an hour before the University Council pulled it. These days Grade 3 kids are expected to know all about AIDS and what all else.
Remember the advertising hype when BMW (easy to spell) or one of the other jelly moulds came out with variable valve timing. Steam engines have had that for how long, maybe 150 years.
I think it must be really difficult to be a kid today, what kind of future are we expecting them to face.
If genetic engineering takes off, I expect the 2 most popular mods will be Glow-in-the-Dark disco bunnies and monkey feet, imagine how useful another pair of hands would be.

As always,
Ant

You think it's bad for people today, what about years ago.

My Grandmother grew up on a farm where you only got to town, less then 10 miles away, 3 or 4 times a years because that was an all day trip on a horse pulled wagon. The first world war had been on for 3 months before they heard about it.

Into to her 19 century existence she saw the introduction of

indoor plumbing
electricity
telephones (they had been around for many years but not on the farm)
radio
automobiles
airplanes
Television
conventional and nuclear weapons undreamed of when see was young
spacecraft (man on the moon)
computers (even in the home)
The medical technology revolution

All in one lifetime and she had to try and understand it with a grade 3 education.

If that isn't a shock then...........

Think of it like this, Phil:

You've brought your new lathe (hardware) home and now you have to get it to work. The thing is, now it's sitting in your shop, you suddenly realize there are things that have to be done to get it to work for you. Maybe the stand you made isn't going to cut it or you need tooling you haven't thought of. Just like upgrading the software for your computer, you have to upgrade the software in your head to get that lathe to crank out that part for the lawnmower you wanted to make. :big:

I posted this before here somewhere, but I had a good one reading a reprint of the first year of Model Engineer a few months ago.

There was a bit in there about how Signor Marconi had managed to transmit the record distance of 20 miles (plus considerable snark about the validity of Marconi's patent claims). There was an article about aircraft-- balloons and blimps as the Wright Brothers were still a decade away.

I was sitting in a 737 at 20,000 feet with the 'try our new in-flight WiFi' ad running on the seat-back TV set.

One interesting thing from those days is the guys were modeling the 'latest and greatest' stuff-- the trains that ran by their house every day, the new water pumps, an 'up to date' steam tractor'. Lots of current-events-in-state-of-the-art engineering articles. We've shifted a bit since then.

shred said:
There was an article about aircraft-- balloons and blimps as the Wright Brothers were still a decade away.

I thought that 'Future Shock' could have been; the Wright Brothers finally getting off the ground, and then realising that Richard Pearce in New Zealand had flown 8 months before their flight at KittyHawk.

Isn't it time to correct the 'Wright Brothers Myth' ?

Murray.

Trout’s reply makes a lot of sense. My progress in this hobby has been really slow. Before I started with my machines I thought making things was much easier that what it has turned out for me. It seems like every time I want to make another tool I need tools to get there. The more I try, the greater my admiration for the beautiful work the experienced modellers turn out. Even some of the rank beginners have left me in the dust, like Zee with his toy loco and ArnoldB with his excellent rotab are just 2 examples.
With all the updates and compatability, computer hardware, software and operating systems and Internet and connectivity, we are getting a bargain.

Antman said:
Even some of the rank beginners have left me in the dust, like Zee

Rank I am. :big: But Arnold hardly so.

It's like language. If you learn it when you're young and the brain is pliable and thirsty...new technology almost comes naturally. Get older and you get left behind.

I was at the beginning of the internet and desktop computers. Slowly, over the years, I've fallen behind.

I just want a phone that calls and receives. Took me two years to accept text messaging.

I see the kids at home playing games that would require me to have 11 fingers and a couple of toes to work the controls.

I don't want to know how a computer works anymore...just make it work. That kind of scares me until I realize it's not that I can't know...it's that I don't care anymore. Instead, I'm interested in other things.

zeeprogrammer said:
I just want a phone that calls and receives.

Took me two years to accept text messaging.

I see the kids at home playing games that would require me to have 11 fingers and a couple of toes to work the controls.

1. Yes Please

2. I still won't use it. Bloody stupid, why type when a phone's for talking ???

3. Oh the simple pleasure of chess.

Best Regards
Bob

Ah yes, new technology.

I had a rather humbling night at work just tonight as a Technician.

I received a call that one of the PC's on a production machine had locked up.
They restarted the machine and had a, "No Signal" display on the monitor.
On my way out into the plant, I'm thinking, video cable, video card. What if it's the hard drive?
Do I have a back up PC loaded with the software for that machine if the whole thing is dead?

Turns out the whole thing WAS dead. When they restarted the machine, they had forgotten to
press the little round power button on the PC tower. ::)

Round 2:
One of the Bar Code printers is giving an "Out of Paper/Ribbon" error.
How complicated can this be? Sure enough it was out of ribbon. I replace the ribbon and,
"Out of Paper/Ribbon".... (Do I have another logic board on the shelf for this printer?)

Finally I pull out the LED light and take a look inside. I see a tiny infrared sensor with a little
fleck of paper sticking to it. A gentle huff and puff was the answer to that high tech issue.

Never be intimidated by technology.
Worst case, a 20 pound hammer will beat it any day of the week!
:D

Uh.. Just in case anybody from upper management at my place of employment is reading this,
I'd never even think of doing such a thing, let alone put it to type. :-X

Rick

Latest posts

Back