• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

FS Grizzly G8689 mill (cnc converted)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbritnell

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I have a friend who passed away. He set up this mill for CNC use and did use it. I am selling it for his widow. I will explain what's there and include some pictures.
Grizzly G8689 mill. Lead screws and nuts changed out and drive motors installed. Rack removed from Z axis and lead screw and drive motor installed. Original gearbox removed and a variable speed cogged belt drive installed. It has the driver board installed in a box on the rear of the machine. It's a Hobby CNC PRO 4 axis Rev1 Chopper Drive. As far as I can tell all the original parts are in the boxes shown. The machine would need a power supply and computer with software (Mach) to drive it. I am asking $550.00 for everything and am located in Strongsville, Ohio. It would be for pickup only. If anyone has more questions I will try to answer them.
gbritnell

SOLD

IMG_8681.jpg

IMG_8687.jpg

IMG_8690.jpg

IMG_8691.jpg

IMG_8694.jpg

IMG_8699.jpg

IMG_8709.jpg

IMG_8720.jpg

IMG_8729.jpg

IMG_8734.jpg

IMG_8737.jpg

Last edited:
Would this be ok to start out on i dont have a lathe yet either been saveing but if this deal would be good for a starter i might have to consider a small mill first

Wow I also wish you were closer. That is so cheap. The same size mill in our size would go for more cash non Cnc

jdcool4,
It wouldn't be good to start out in the CNC version but it could be converted back to manual. You would have to know a little about the mechanics of the machine. It is still sold by Grizzly so parts (nuts, bolts and screws) are still available.
gbritnell

I think it wold be good as a starter, both returned to manual and as a CNC machine. It looks like mechanically the CNC conversion is complete, only the electronics is missing a few bits. It would be a waste to strip all that off and return it to manual.

At Cabin Fever PMDX.com showed a new control box that would be perfect for this machine- everything in one box, just hook the motors up to some screw terminals and plug in the power cord. The box is $375.

The current box would only require a power supply and some wiring. The hobbycnc board is not the best, but if it is not blown out it should be adequate for this machine. Note that it is only a 3 axis, the parts have not been installed on the board for the 4th axis. That board was sold as a kit, and you could buy it in either the 3 or 4 axis version, same PC board, just not all the parts soldered in. Look at the upper right corner of the photo and note the missing parts on the PC board.

If you have any interest in getting into CNC this machine is a great start.

Thanks for the comments Ron. these are the same motors that I put on my cnc lathe. they are available for iirc about 30 each if you want a spare or one for another axis. the data sheets are readily available. I would suggest adding some radio shack or other potting boxes to enclose the connectors.
the motor mounts appear to be sterling steele design.
good opportunity for a small machine.
Tin

Latest posts

Back