Found it! (replacement for asbestos sheeting)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deanofid

Reaction score
For my current build, I need a few small pieces of 1/16" thick asbestos-like material sheeting.
The only thing I've come across is Fiberfrax, but suppliers sell it in large lots. I don't need a 50 ft roll of the stuff. Just a small piece, like 6 x 6" square x 1/16" thick.

Anyone know where to get this in hobbyist quantities?

Thanks,
Dean

April 17
UPDATE to this thread;

Earl suggested Seattle Pottery Supply, and my order came in today. It looks like "the stuff", so I'm set.

I had to order two sq ft of it, but will only need a few sq inches for this project. If someone else here is building a stirling engine and needs some, like what would fit in a regular letter envelope, let me know and I can send you a piece. This is for someone who is building, or using it for a stirling engine. It's 1/16 thick sheet, good to 2400 deg f.

Dean

Dean
Call Jensen steam Engines. they have it in stock and sell it in small pieces for next to nothing. It's a ceramic fiber sheet material that is used in commercial boilers. 800-525-5245 and speak with Dorita.

Steve

Dean,
go to a Wood - Coal- burning stove or chimney sweep type Store,
They sell all kinds off Insulating material in small quantities.
Thick one thin one You name it they have it.
Hilmar

Thanks much, folks!
Potman had a good lead for a place that looks like it will suit.
I just ordered from the Seattle Pottery Supply. They sell it by the sq ft. Now, waiting for their phone call to confirm my order.

Dean

FWIW, Kilnformed Glass supply places (they also usually do stained glass hobby supplies) will sell "fiber paper" by the square foot. We've got 3 such stores in this town, so there should be at least one in most cities.

I know you already ordered some material, but if it turns out be unsuitable you might visit your local hot rod shop or auto parts store and get some Mr. Gasket exhaust manifold gasket material. It will certainly take the heat although it's a bit of a pain to cut. I would think that most of the engines being built on the forum do not run hot enough for the gasket material to be a huge issue from a temperature perspective. That said, one wonders if a more commonly available "ordinary" gasket material would work just fine. Don't know, just a thought.

Depending on the use, exhaust manifold gasket material could be a bad choice.
It can take the heat and is a good gasket material but a very poor insulator.

For use in a hot air engine a good insulator of heat is wanted to stop the travel of heat from the hot end to the cold end.

Ed T said:
I know you already ordered some material, but if it turns out be unsuitable you might visit your local hot rod shop or auto parts store and get some Mr. Gasket exhaust manifold gasket material. It will certainly take the heat although it's a bit of a pain to cut. I would think that most of the engines being built on the forum do not run hot enough for the gasket material to be a huge issue from a temperature perspective. That said, one wonders if a more commonly available "ordinary" gasket material would work just fine. Don't know, just a thought.

Ed, what I'm after is an insulator between the hot cap and power piston on a Heinrici.
I think what I have on order will do it. If not, I'll be back!

Dean

I have some of this now. Please see the first post (update) if you need a piece.

Dean

Latest posts

Back