Foot Switch

Discussion in '3-D Printers' started by bmac2, Dec 3, 2019 at 5:27 AM.

Help Support HMEM by donating:

1. Dec 3, 2019 at 5:27 AM #1

bmac2

bmac2

bmac2

Well-Known Member Project of the Month Winner

I have (had) a foot switch that I don’t use often but I do like it if I’m using my little tankless compressor with my airbrush. The other day after using it when I unplugged the compressor it shattered like glass and the socket pulled right out of the base. When I took it apart I noticed a crack in the pedal and it snapped like a dry twig. I was thinking of gathering up the pieces and epoxying it back together but the plastic this is just too brittle to bother.
    Foot Switch001.JPG Foot Switch002.JPG
    Foot Switch003.JPG

I have a spool of PETG (polyethylene terephthalate, glycol modified for the scrabble players out there) and thought it would be easier to just print a new one. It took me a while to get PETG dialed in on my machine but once I dropped the speed way down (50mm/s) and the temperatures up (nozzle 225c, bed 85c) it prints just like PLA . . . . just way slower.
    Foot Switch004.JPG

Got the body printed up, I’d left the strain relief as a separate piece because I wasn’t sure exactly where I wanted it and epoxied into place before installing the switch and wiring.
    Foot Switch005.JPG Foot Switch006.JPG

Now I don’t how I managed to do it but I got the bump that hits the switch on the wrong side. Thankfully there’s a lot of room in there so I just printed another "bump" and epoxied it in place.
    Foot Switch007.JPG
    Foot Switch008.JPG
    All buttoned up I’ve got a new foot switch that I won’t use much but hey I got a chance to play with my printer.
    Foot Switch009.JPG

Preston Engebretson, kuhncw and Cogsy like this.
  2. Dec 3, 2019 at 5:42 AM #2

XD351

XD351

XD351

Well-Known Member HMEM Supporter

Nice repair !
    I haven’t got around to using petg yet but give me time !

3. Dec 3, 2019 at 8:09 AM #3

Cogsy

Cogsy

Cogsy

Well-Known Member Staff Member Global Moderator

And it's so much prettier than the old one! I love being able to repair things that just a few years ago (for me) would have been impossible. So far, the money I've outlaid on a mill, 2 lathes, bandsaw, grinder, 3D printer, etc. has saved me at least $400 in repairs...

4. Dec 3, 2019 at 2:39 PM #4

ddmckee54

ddmckee54

ddmckee54

Well-Known Member HMEM Supporter

Cogsy:

So far you bought a mill, 2 lathes, bandsaw, grinder and a 3D printer? And you've saved at least $400 in repairs? Your Return On Investment is probably a little higher than it is for the rest of us.

Don

5. Dec 3, 2019 at 6:21 PM #5

bmac2

bmac2

bmac2

Cogsy, I’m not sure but I think that’s about the same return as I get on my savings, after the banks service charges.

BIGTREV likes this.
  6. Dec 3, 2019 at 6:27 PM #6

bmac2

bmac2

bmac2

The place I get my filament from has 10m sample packets for $2.69 CAD. Great for when I want to try something without having to commit to buying an entire spool. PETG can get very stringy so ramp up the retraction and doesn’t work well with supports as EVERYTHING sticks. The way I work around it is to just build the supports into the model in a way that I can cut them out.

Base_Print.jpg

Once you get it dialed in it prints great. This is an adapter with 1mm internal and external threads I printed to use a 18650 lithium battery salvaged from an old laptop in one of those cheap LED flash lights.
    18650 adapter 010.JPG
    18650 adapter 020.JPG
    18650 adapter 030.JPG

As I get older especially when I try working with surface mount components I need a lot of light on a small area and those little LED flash lights eat AAA batteries for breakfast.

Optical Tach 010.JPG Optical Tach 020.JPG

7. Dec 6, 2019 at 2:14 AM #7

RonW

RonW

RonW

A 5 volt DC "Wall Wart" power supply from a surplus store or your own "junk box(s)" would work just as well and you wouldn't need the mill, 2 lathes, band saw, grinder and a 3D printer etc. and hours of frustrating entertainment to get seven LED's to show light in the right place. The charger you use for charging the lithium battery would probably do the job if asked.

8. Dec 6, 2019 at 3:39 AM #8

bmac2

bmac2

bmac2

“hours?” I found the adapter on Thingiverse and thought it was a cool idea. Copy, paste, slice, print, done. Granted a flashlight can be replaced by a table lamp but when I already have supply, multimeter, scope, freq counter, function gen etc. probes running all over the bench the last thing I want is another cord tangling in there.

And hell, I’m retired. I get up, have breakfast, tsk tsk the morning traffic reports while having my morning cupa, and spend the rest of the day trying to scratch whatever itch amuses me at the time.

Cogsy has 2 lathes I only have 1. . . . . 2 bandsaws, 2 drill presses, and 2 bench grinders, but only 1 lathe.