Flywheel on the Mill.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garry_C

Reaction score
I'm hoping this is not too silly a question but is it feasible to Mill a Steam Engine flywheel casting true i.e.. Drill, Ream and Mill as much as poss with the same setting etc. The flywheel I have in mind for my next project would be too big for my little lathe (OD about 12 inch). I know I could send the flywheel away someplace to get done but would prefer to do myself if I could get a reasonable result..? Or is it simply a non starter? All the write-ups I see describe it being done on the Lathe.
am just a beginner.. :)
Thanks
Cheers
Garry

There are usually at least as many methods to machine a part as there are opinions and the tools/machines at hand. I personally think it would be preferable to use a lathe, as it is easier to ensure the flywheel rim spins perfectly true to the crankshaft and it is easier to sand/polish the rim. However, I can think of at least one way of machining a flywheel on a mill with a rotary table. I think I'd use a boring bar to drill the axle hole, as any deviations or deflections of this hole will be magnified at the rim of the spinning flywheel.

Thanks rhankey. Sounds like a good reason to get a boring tool holder for the Mill and makes things more interesting :)

Hi Jason
I'll never learn, hopeless case *bang* - good to see you here and thanks thats a really interesting link Thm:
My little mill doesn't quite have the depth for that setup I'm afraid, good to see it though, I'll keep scratch.gif :hDe: and :big:
Cheers
Garry

It will work fine imo.
Minor imbalances wont matter, its a flywheel, already dealing with imbalance.

Thanks hanermo3, it does then seem like it's worth trying - at least no one has said it to be a non starter as I was half expecting :)

Cheers
Garry

first choice would be a rotary table
second more risky choice machine center hole , mount flywheel on stud , then bring a small end mill say 1/4 or 3/8 up to the edge of fly wheel then taking really small cuts say .25x .02 depth of cut then manually rotate the flywheel in a conventional cut direction don't even think about trying to climb mill and think about where your fingers are if it starts to get sucked around then repeat lowering the quill a .25 a pass

Could you turn the flywheel in the milling spindle and hold a cutter in the vice.
Vince

Thanks - I do have a rotary table so I'll have a go, I'd much rather try myself first than just give in and send it off somewhere to be done. Its a big help to know that the mill method does at least give me a chance of success..
Cheers
Garry

Back