Flame Licker Question

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allen56am

Reaction score
Hi friends, I am in the process of building my very first engine, A Flame Licker Engine, It was a 20cc Weed eater engine, I am making it into a open crankcase and it will have a walking beam overhead to run the slide valve that will be on the cylinder head, My question is, What do you think the Flywheel size, ( Diameter & width ) should be, I will be making it from steel or stainless steel ?
34.56 mm Bore
25.01 mm stroke
1.34252" Bore
0.98819" stoke
Also, The existing spark plug hole in the head is 12.75 mm, Thats all most 1/2" Is this the correct size for my Gas/Flame hole, And should I leave it round or make it square or some other shape ?
Thank you guy's so much...

The first thing that should be done is to make a new piston, it should be an almost tight fit into the bore and then very gently lapped in so that it becomes a little freer.
This is the most important thing with a flame licker, don't get that right and it will fail to run as the vacuum power will be lost down the side of the piston.

John

Thank you for taking time to help me, Are you saying the stock / original piston that came in this engine will be to Loose to make adequate vacuum to make my engine run ?

Quite correct.
Yours most probably has a piston ring to take up the slack and form enough seal for the engine to run. Your original piston is most probably 0.002" smaller than the bore, you will require a piston that is more like 0.0005" to 0.001"smaller to allow the seal to form.

I don't want to piddle on your parade, but it might be easier to start from scratch and make the cylinder/piston from bar stock, or even the whole engine if you have already designed it.

John

Latest posts

Back