First time engine build

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julius

Reaction score
I have just purchased Jerry Howell V4 plans. I am a certified machinist of 20 years but never built a small engine. I can read the drawing with no problem. The QUESTION is Bob Shore engine or Jerry's. Any input would be appreciated. I am going to build the engine on a manual lathe and mill.

Thanks

Julius

Hi Julius,

Welcome....jump right in....if you get in a spot...this forum is the place to be! ;D

Dave

Hi Julius,

Welcome to the forum. I can't recommend one over the other as far as Bob Shore's or Jerry's V4, but since this would be your first, don't rule out a single cylinder or even a twin as a first effort. That is in no way a statement as to your skills as a machinist, which no doubt exceed mine. Only that the transition from commercial machining to small engines may not be seamless and it may be good to start with something less complicated to get that first success under your belt. I have no doubt that your skills are up to the challenge, its more that things aren't always what they seem at first glance. There are numerous posts on sterling and atmospheric engines for example here on this forum, and many of them relate to the finiky (sp?) nature of getting them to run well, however simple the design may look on paper.

Whatever your decision, best wishes...and again welcome to HMEM.

Bill

Julius,

Welcome to our forum.
icon_welcome.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Thanks to all who responded to my question. What REALLY got me excited was the ENGINE OF THE MONTH, OCT 2008. Are there any plans of this engine available for purchase? Is this a difficult engine to build? If not, I guess the Howell is what I will build. Be prepared for a lot of questions LOL. Thank you once again.

Julius

Has anyone built a SEAL 15CC engine ? It is does not appear to be difficult.

Thanks
Julius

wEc1 Julius :)

This is a GREAT forum, and both you and Tony (cobra428) obviously like gbritnell's engines ;) - you liked the Oct 2008 model and Tony referred you to gbritnell's current EOM winner!

Regards, Arnold

Latest posts

Back